exhaust questions

YJnamedTJ

hey first of all is anyone really fimilliar with 94 wrangler yj exhaust and then read on...... ihave a couple of question..... the jeep stealer ship wants to charg me 400-500 buck to replace the manifold stud bolts and the say thats what is making my exhaust go vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv and i have crawled around and looked up under it and i can grab the front pipe a wiggle it back and forth. also i was lookin wher that cat sits and it looks like the metal peice off the cat went there but now my exhaust sits out of it and i cant push it back into the bracket also where the manifold and the front pipe connect its loose not like alota wiggle but a lil wiggle and it kinda makes me think thats what it is but i dont know. so yeah can any one help?

The broken stud bolts won't cause a VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV, they cause an annoying ticking. All the exhaust leaks in that old pipe cause the VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV.

I'd have the entire exhaust replaced below the manifold, can be done for under $200. www.jcw.com has a hi-flow catalytic converter (Catco) for $60. Have a muffler shop do the rest.

The rear one is tough, they may be quoting you that high as they plan on removing the head to make it easier.

Check with a local shop for an estimate, and make sure you find out if it's possible to do with the head on the jeep, as it will affect the quote.

I had to have my exhaust manifold replaced one time... it was $450. That was a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). So the amount seems right. But if the manifold stays in place, I wouldn't mess with it. Your noise is coming from else where. It's possible that you e.m. has a hole in it. That's what was wrong with mine. It was so big I could stick two fingers in it (no laughing). Hence the replacement.

C

Before you spend any $ on a repair, do yourself a favor and test for exhaust leaks yourself. Have a friend place a folded up rag over the tail pipe while the engine is running. He/she should try not to breathe the emmissions. With the exhaust caped you should be able to find the noise maker with no problem. This simple test will save you alot of time and money.

hmmm i would just try to jam a potatoe up the pipe. makes it easier and no one has to breath that stuff in and when your done just jab the potato a few times with a screw driver and it will fall out hehe that also works for keeping water out of your exhaust during a flood

Like I said before, you might want to drill out that broken stud in the rear. It isn't hard to take the head off (like I did). It is nearly impossible to drill it out while the head is still on the engine.

PS. DO NOT take it to the stealership.

Back