Exhaust

cj5springbranch

I have a question ,I have a 4.2 running 2 1/4''exhaust without a cat with a glasspack and on cool days when I let off the gas to slow down it back fires alot, I use to run a turbo muffler and it didn't do it then will this hurt my baby or should I not worry about it thanks for any input. :roll: :roll: [addsig]

I am not sure it will hurt it or not but I would add a bit of back presure with a little more (note little more) restriction to stop the back fireing. I have been running a glass pack as well and to be honest I am going to a little quiter muffler real soon. I hope to go to a flowmaster or something that still flows only a bit softer on the ear drums. Gettin old i guess! Tug :p [addsig]

the backfiring should not hurt much... mine did that when i had the straight pipe on after the cat... then i removed the cat and had no power... i then added a turbo muffler (where they get the name "turbo" i dont know) and it helped with power but killed sound... I like backfiring... i would let off... then just TOUCH the gas a little bit... and boom boom pop burrrrrrrrr... i loved it... it should not hurt much except anything in the exhaust... but since there is only a straight flow through... make sure you don't get too many flames by your gas tank[addsig]

I get a little popping from my exhaust. When you put in the straight pipe, did you weld it or just clamp it?[addsig]

i clamped mine, that was before i learned how to weld... now i want to weld everything, i don't even tie my shoes or button my shorts anymore... i just weld them

edited by: Snitty, Feb 27, 2003 - 10:21 AM[addsig]

You welding them while you got em on! Dude you got new respect piled on top of old respect from tug! Just one question what kind of rods do you use on denim? :p [addsig]

I use a mig welderI replace all my brass buttons with steel... no stick... Got a plasma cutter in the bathroom for those emergency situations[addsig]

I have 93 I6 Wrangler and run a Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 series less the cat. I get some backfire/ gurggling as I slow down. I hasn't caused any problems for 75,000 so unless it annoying don't fret. There is a happy medium with the back pressure. I drove my jeep to the muffler shop after removing the catback and stock exhaust. The pedal went to mush.

F.Y.I. The flowmaster at idle sounds like a stock caburated CJ I6 and ends up at High RPM like deep toned sports car. The backfires are kinda cool but won't scare anyone.
I have been told it all sounds like a V-8 from outside.

Is there stick to weld tires to rims? :) [addsig]

Back