Extra Gas tank

JeepMonkey

I have a trailer that I haul my quad around in and I'd like to mount a gas tank under the bed to use for filling up the quad and the Jeep even. However, I would need a pump to do this since it's not high enough to be gravity fed. Does anyone know what kind of pump I could use? I know you can get auxillary tanks on toy haulers and I would imagine they use a pump, but I'm betting it's an expensive setup on those rigs. I'm looking for cheapest and safe.

P.S. I hope I don't get flamed by all you Pirate haters for posting this "newbie, kind of non-Jeep related" question.

So you want to mount it under the trailer right? Or is it going to be under the Jeep?

You could just use a regular electric fuel pump...found on most cars in a wrecking yard. Then wire in a switch to it so you can turn it on and off. Then just have some extra hose that's long enough to reach your Jeep, quad, or whatever else you would want to fill up.

RE: Idoling too low

Yeah, just any old electric fuel pump with a toggle switch. I think I would just be tempted to use a handheld mechanical siphon or transfer pump. The one I have has 3/4" ID hose and would move fuel quicker than a cheap electric pump feeding 3/8" line. Mine is about 20 years old......I have no idea where to get a decent new one though.

You can get new mechanical (human powered) transfer pumps at just about any farm supply store, or like at Lowe's or Home Depot, too.

Sparky-Watts said:
You can get new mechanical (human powered) transfer pumps at just about any farm supply store, or like at Lowe's or Home Depot, too.

I was thinking the same thing. A mechanical crank pump will do you just fine. We use those all the time.

I'd get a tank from a small car complete with fuel pump out of the junk yard and use that... you can power it off a 12v battery (2 6v lantern batteries should work nicely). I know people who have pickup bed trailers that leave the tank on the trailer & do the same thing.

RE: Re: how can i get better gas mileage?

graewulf said:
I'd get a tank from a small car complete with fuel pump out of the junk yard and use that... you can power it off a 12v battery (2 6v lantern batteries should work nicely). I know people who have pickup bed trailers that leave the tank on the trailer & do the same thing.

Ya, that would be sweet. Have the fuel pump already in there so it would be out of the way....and all you'd have to do is wire it up 8) .

You know, I might have to do something like this too with my trailer. I could definatly use it with my dirtbikes :wink:

I have an 18 gal tank out of a Camaro. I think it still has the pump in it, but I'm thinking the handpump might be faster. I'd mount the tank under the trailer. It's a long bed Chevy converted to a trailer so there is plenty of room to mount it underneath. I'm also going to put a freshwater tank under it as well. My goal is to make this trailer as functional as possible. Right now I have to pack all this stuff every time I want to go somewhere. This of course takes space in the bed and I have less room for ice chests and quad and all the rest of the camping stuff. I know it sounds like a lot, but my wife reall likes to be able to set up the stove and have water to wash the cooking utensils with. I'll eventually figure out how to put a sink in it also. We really camp well!

Re: RE: New Pope

Since we're talking low volumes here - only a couple gallons i dont know if speed is a real issue.. as for the sinks.... hit me offline. I have a solution for ya that collapses down quite nicely (I'm actually in the process of rebuilding mine now). We also camp really well.

jumppr said:
I have an 18 gal tank out of a Camaro. I think it still has the pump in it, but I'm thinking the handpump might be faster. I'd mount the tank under the trailer. It's a long bed Chevy converted to a trailer so there is plenty of room to mount it underneath. I'm also going to put a freshwater tank under it as well. My goal is to make this trailer as functional as possible. Right now I have to pack all this stuff every time I want to go somewhere. This of course takes space in the bed and I have less room for ice chests and quad and all the rest of the camping stuff. I know it sounds like a lot, but my wife reall likes to be able to set up the stove and have water to wash the cooking utensils with. I'll eventually figure out how to put a sink in it also. We really camp well!

Well hey, If you're going to camp, you've got to do it in style 8) 8) .

This sure gives me some pretty good ideas too.

88Wrangles said:
Ya, I've got a few of those and I really like them a lot. Only problem is mine always leak when I'm pouring gas...so I have to put a little silicone around the lip to seal them up.

Cheaper Than Dirt sells a spout with gaskets that lock on to the tank opening. Theirs is about $4.97 (#ZAA-831) for the "NATO" cans (smaller opening), I paid $30.00 from some Jeep place for the spout. I don't get any leaks at all. The cans have cam locks also. Gaskets in sets of 10, #ZAA-082, for this stuff. Those same cans new are $38.00 each from a Jeep catalog.

ya I got mine from an army surplus store. They came with the gaskets and everything...but I think they're just worn out or something...

Starter problems, I think. . .

If you go with an electric pump, make sure it is a sealed explosion proof unit rated for fuel. Car fuel pumps would be great but probably very slow. I would try the reliable hand pump. Also make sure you protect the tank under the trailer. You don't want the truck to kick up debris or drag it over a rock and damage the tank.
I recently removed the Jerry can racks from the back of my Jeep and welded the rack to my 16' car hauler. I can still have fuel at the home base without taking it with me on the trails. I will still have to thro one in back for extended trips though.
Good luck with it. Outfitting a trailer is fun stuff.

Back