fabing half doors

phatyaspen

bought the full soft doors and well now i changed tops and they look stupid 2 different colors... so i was wondering what kind of metal would i go about using to make hard half doors... i know poison spyder makes the doors already but theyre for yjs and im not a square :lol: so i mean what would be my best bet on metal to make these... i understand i half to cut and weld them but i dont care about that thats already taken care of i just need to know what i should use...

Why not just make a steel tubing frame and skin it with aluminum diamond plate. Rivit it right on there.

Fab the frame of the door with steel tubing, that will have the other half of the hinge on it, and the latch mechanism. Rivit a sheet of aluminum diamond plate to the frame on the outside to finish the whole thing off. Oh and cut the hole for the handle in the aluminum skin of course. Just an idea... the aluminum keeps it lighter, and if it's damaged you can just take it off and rivit a new piece on after you cut it to size.

Joop

i was just gonna use the frame from the soft door and lay it on a piece of metal trace it cut it out and weld it straight to it and then paint it

Oh I miss read, I thought you were building one from scratch. Sounds like you got it figured out though, just don't burn through that soft door frame! It's not that heavy of a guage is it? Sorry about that, sounds like you got it figured out.

I'm building a set the same way for my CJ. I'm trying to resist the urge to make them out of 16ga SS, I'll probably end up going with 16 or 18ga P&O mild steel. I've got the program written, I just need to cut one and see how it looks. I drew them up about 4 or 5 months ago and had forgotten about them until I saw this.

junkpile you're sittin on a gold mine.. you can start rollin those babies off the production line

Back