Fiberglass body

the body on it know has some dents on the rear quarter panel, and some other little things, so it isn;t in the best of condition

CJ7lr said:
the body on it know has some dents on the rear quarter panel, and some other little things, so it isn;t in the best of condition

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Another Kansas Jeeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're getting closer....I'm in Mt. Hope, just a few miles the other side of Hutch from ya.

As far as the body, depends on what you're going to do with the Jeep. If you plan to wheel it much, I think I'd stick with the metal body.....battle wounds are cool, ya know. Besides, if you take a fiberglass body wheeling on a 5 degree Kansas winter day, I'd think there'd be a good chance of cracking it. Though I'm not really familiar with fiberglass bodies. On the other hand, they use a lot more salt on the roads up around Reno, Harvey, and Rice counties because of the mines in Hutch than they do out here in Sedgwick County, so rust is always a factor there, too.

Welcome to Jeepz! (That makes at least 5 of us from Kansas now!!)

my thoughts the same as Sparky's.i have worked with fiber glass for 5years,might not sound long but when you do it for seven days a week and 12 hour a day you learn alot about something.fiberglass can be good to have but in cold conditions it can be a nightmare.i guess it would really depend on what type of resin the amount of glas that the company uses.research and if you are serious let the company know and if the are willing they will send you a sample of their material.

If you've got dents, you are better off just fixing them than replacing the whole body. If you've got major rust and want to swap bodies, I would highly recommend a YJ tub swap. Thats what I did last winter, and its worked out great for me.

Along with the temperature/ collision issues, the fiberglass tubs that I have seen have a little problem with fit and finish....that is, when you go to "finish".....some things won't "fit". If you feel you must replace the body then I'd suggest a YJ swap as well. My '83 frame has been riding a '91 tub around on it for 2 years now.

One issue that no one has brought up is that it takes just one mistake off-road and you could be facing the prospect of replacing the tub.
I have seen two fiberglass tubs destroyed. One was in a VERY minor accident and the whole tub got cracked when the rear quarter panel was hit, the other vehicle was going maybe 10-15 MPH.
The second was a body slider on the wedgie. This mistake would have pealed the fender flares off a metal tub and maybe dented in the side but one flare got caught on a rock and by the time we got the jeep off the obstacle the whole tub was a goner.
I guess it would be nice if your going mudding all the time but any other type of off-road? Go metal! You life, and your passengers life depend on that tubs strength.

Back