Fill hole on AX-5 transmission YJ

BostonJeep

Located the drain hole, and what i think is the filler hole.

I dont know anyone who has done this on the ax5, just the 15. Is the filler hole still on the passenger side? I think i've found it right next to a bolt that has a wire attached to it. It is a 15/16th inch and looks just like the drain plug. only problem is, is that its really hard to get too, its a little bit behind the skid plate, not much, can still reach by hand.

I removed it an it seems to be the one, but how do i get my fluid in there. Its in a very tight spot....

so i guess my questions are
1) is this the right plug
2) tips on filling her up in the very tight spot.

Its a saturday night otherwise i'd head to autozone to pick up the manual....

TIA-

Add a leaf question

The filler hole on my old YJ was different than what you discribe, so I can´t help you there.
But getting the gear oil in, maybe. I´ll cut right to the chase, and tell you what will work, not what I´ve tried and didn´t or sorta worked.
The bottle of gear oil (get the right oil, I think we all agreed that regular old 80-90 isn´t the right stuff).
I´ve used windshield washer tubing and/or aquarium tubing, fitted to the squeeze end of the gear oil bottle. Most gear oil plastic bottles I´ve seen have a cone shaped squeeze end. One guy holds the tubing into the hole and another squeezes the bottle, careful not to squeeze to hard (blowing off the tubing) and covering his buddy under the Jeep in gear oil.
If you really want to hurry things up, a bucket a quarter full of really hot water, set your oil bottles in there fo awhile, really helps the oil to come out easier and quicker.

Million dollar trick, the next time, your down at the junk yard, keep your eyes open for a windshield washer pump, that is seperate from the tank (I found mine in an old Ford station wagon). You can use it to empty gas tanks, empty radiators, and pump hot oil. I put some long wires on mine and an old set of battery clips (large aligator clips) from an old battery charger that was broke.

That's the right plug, high up on the pass. side near the reverse switch (wires coming out). It looks just like the drain plug.

I use a fluid transfer pump I got from the auto parts store, and it's still a pain to fill.

i bought a pump gun too... it is a life saver for the most part... but even some things are still a pain with it..... for the transmission, before i had the pump... I found it convenient to run the tube up to the side of my jeep where I secured a funnel, filled the funnel up... went at watched tv for a little bit... filled the funnel up... went and ate a sandwich... etc it eventually worked

What is the plug (hole) on the driver's side of the transmission half way up, right next to the front driveshaft?

C

o/t - drinking at college = funny (almost scary) stories

i went out and bought a lil hand pump, and eventually. it worked too. thanks for all the help guys

hi_c said:
What is the plug (hole) on the driver's side of the transmission half way up, right next to the front driveshaft?

C

That is not the fill plug, do not remove any plugs from the AX5 or AX15 that require a torx bit.

The fill plug is on the passenger side of the transmission, above and slightly behind the backup switch (wires coming from transmission).

Bounty,
the plug on the driver's side of my transmission is not a torx head, but a hex head, just like the one for the drain and the real fill plug. I've been using it to fill the transmission, but have only been able to get about 2.5quarts in. That's why I've been grinding lately.

I put in an extra half-quart using the fill hole on the pass. side.

C

I think it should hold 3.5 quarts, and should be filled from the pass. side. Try the Redline and see if that doesn't help. I know it's expensive, especially if it doesn't help and you end up swapping trannies.

I took mine to the shop and they filled it on the driver side in the plug with the Torx head. Are you guys sure its on the passenger side or I am I running around with no transmission fluid?

ghostrider, what year jeep and transmission type?

I have a torx plug on the driver's side, but it's not the fill plug and is lower than the actual fill plug on the pass. side. My fill plug takes a large adj. wrench to loosen, just as the drain plug does. '95 AX5, well, actually I think my current transmission is a '92.

I just got back from the mechanic and you guys where right. The fill hole on the AX-5 IS on the passenger side and the kids at Quickstop (once again that Quickstop, Florence KY) put the oil in the wrong plug. They unscrewed the Torx plug on the drivers side and put it in there! Amazingly, the oil must all goto the same place, because my transmission is full of Syncromesh, so I guess there was no damage done. My gears still seem to be grinding in 2nd though... :cry:
I hope she lasts me through the winter before I have to put her down.
The mechanic rattled off something about the driverside torx bolt being a reverse....fork....something or nother.....He also said it was all good as long as they didnt try to move the car with that plug off.
Do you guys think it would be unethical for me to sell her before the transmission dies?

Thanks everyone.

GhostRider,

Fill the transmission the rest of the way up from the fill plug on the pass. side. I was using the driver's side plug too, and only getting about 75% of the fluid in and I too was grinding in 2nd and 3rd. I put an extra half-quart in on the pass. side and it doesn't grind anymore.

I have a friend with a recently rebuilt AX5 for $275 that he pulled to drop in a V8. I thought I was going to need it, but now my transmission is good. Should I still get it for when my transmission goes out in the future? I know this is a good deal, but what if my transmission lasts 2 years before I have to replace it?!

C

35" on a TJ

$275 isn't bad at all, maybe you could get it for $200? Got mine for $125 when a buddy pulled it for a swap, but it wasn't rebuilt like yours, but no problems.

Hard to say if you should buy it or not, kinda like buying insurance on your transmission. I'm sure the need for AX5's will still be there down the road if your transmission is still working, and you could easily sell it should you decide to.

That's what I was thinking, but the wife is threatening denial of funding - "if you buy that transmission for $275, you ain't getting your lift and tires this winter."

I think I'll skip the transmission, get the lift and meats... then when the transmission goes out, it's either get it replaced, or take me to work. hee hee. But my transmission should be good for another year or better, at least. The jeep's paid for, so $300 every 6 months is better than $300 every month for a new Rubi.

C

I have a 1993 Wrangler 2.5 5 speed and have changed the transmission fluid twice using a plastic hose fitted to the top of the tapered cap. You are right about it being a pain, because the hose keeps slipping off. Since I had to do it by myself, I just went to my wife's sewing box and found a staight pin which I then pushed through the plastic hose and the top of the tapered cap. It still was a pain to fill, but at least it kept the hose from comming off. I think that the windshield washer idea I read earlier would be the better way to go.

Good Luck

Captaintek

Back