Finally getting a new carb!!!!!

Jeepster05

My parents just told me that they'd buy me a new carb for xmas and give it to me now. My current carb is the biggest piece of sh*t on my jeep. My jeep hasn't idled in a year. I'm finally gonna get me a new one thank god. I have a 90 YJ with a 4.2 6cyl what kind of carb should I get? I know the first choice is a weber but I'm not so sure about local emissions. If the Weber is out of the question, what should i get?? And no fuel injection is not an option.I wish!!!!

Jeepr89... WHAT THE..

Get a Motorcraft 2150, the 1.08 size. Tug and others here have done the swap, they've got more info. I've seen them perform, and they're great even at steep angles. Better than a Weber at half the price.

The 1.08 is 400 CFM and the 1.21 is 525 CFM I am thinking help me out guys but the Carter is a 250 CFM. So as for power both are going to make you say hmmmm! My old CJ is a different animal all togather with the change. Only thing with the bigger one if you just romp on the throttle it will gag for a second. I think the 1.08 would be the better choice. I just got tired of looking for the 1.08 and went with what I could get. Auto zone and had the best price but after the order they could not produce it for me. Advace Auto came through with the secnd best price. I also hear good things about the Holley 300 series in the 350 CFM range. Good Luck tug

bypass your computer, see nuter bypass for instructions, infact I would try that before you go getting a new carb. I did the bypass to my 89YJ and it has never run better why spend the money when you can spend ten minutes and a couple of wire conectors and have the job done. Hope this helps Evan

Ok so the Nutter Bypass basically bypasses the computer junk?

I got a question about installing the mototcraft 2150. Do you need a manifold adapter to put it on. I read about putting on a 2100 off of a 360 but it said you needed an adapter. Thanks for any help...

Yes it is 17 dollars and change at the Advance Auto Parts place here local. You want the MR Gasket #1937 carb adapter. Be sure to use the orginal spacer that goes between the manifold and carb under the carb to the adapter plate or you will have a major air leak. Tug

i'm not shure which carb would be the better one, but i did some calculations the other day and i think the ideal carb size is around350cfm if i remember correctly.
of course it would have been great if i found this out before i bought my 600 cfm eddlebrock carb and offenhauser 4bbl intake. although i am still happier with that than the stock carter. it took a lot of trial and error with smaller jets and larger needles, but it's pretty close to where it needs to be.

i saw another thread with someting about a new carb. so i looked up the calculation. here it is.

(max RPM) X (CID)

so... a 258 with a max rpm of say 5k...

(5000 RPM) (258)

which comes out to 373.something CFM

so i guess it's closer to 400 cfm being ideal

[/u]

Tug, will that Motorcraft carb accept smaller jets, that may take care of the small lag at initial throttle when romping on it.

Swayin' in the wind!

Bounty__Hunter said:
Tug, will that Motorcraft carb accept smaller jets, that may take care of the small lag at initial throttle when romping on it.

I have tweked it to the point now that it is no longer a problem. One thing about this swap I am no longer afraid to jump in a try to adjust a carb. I have learned so much form this experence. The carb now seems more science and less magic now.. Thanks for the thought! tug

Back