First Hoopties...

Natty

Somewhere between the intense emotions of envy and jealousy at the luxury of being given the discretion of which vehicle will be your first to grace the driveway (CaseyGrl) I regressed into the water colored memories of my first chariot. However, the solitary decision which I faced did not include the option of make and model. It was simple, yes or no, do you want this car, or do you really like your bike that much. Without hesitation I was the proud owner of an '83 Ford Econoline (extended) van. It was awesome - tan, 302, and here's the kicker...4spd. manual transmission. It would chirp the tires in 3rd and leave ricers in the dust. So, good luck CaseyGrl, great to hear that you want a Jeep...
so in the mean time, what was everybody's first ride? :roll: [addsig]

well i am very lucky!!! i wasnt going to get a car till i bought one for my self and it was just oging to be a fantasy of mine!! and now that its gonna happin im happy but i kinda dont like it that much cause my sisters(i have 4 and only 3 are alive) didnt get a brand new car or what ever till she was 21 and i feel bad imma get it anyways... LoL but i do beleive i am lucky![addsig]

Of course you now realize that upon delivery of your Jeep...you (or your friends)are electing yourself full time designated driver... :-D [addsig]

i will be the only olne to ever drive my jeep well for a while hehe
i cant wait but bell ringing i will be back at about 6 bye people [addsig]

First ride? I was 14 or so when I decided I wanted a 1967 ford mustang... I started looking when I was 15, and by the time I was 17 I bought a 1967 ford mustang for 2grand in March of '96. I love the car to death, put way too much money into it but it's ok cause I'm never selling it... I'm sure most of you have seen it... but there it is again... Oh and I just found my next mustang its a sweet ride 400 HP stock!!! It will be mine, Oh yes, it will be mine...[addsig]

My first was a hand me down from my dad. an 89 Nissan Sentra 2 door. Yep, it had the sucky 4 cylinder, I didn't even know what size. All I knew was I could get 4 tires paid and installed for less then a $100. So with that and the knowledge of it's low center of gravity, I drove it like a porsche. Taking corners at 40 mph, pulling the hand brake in the parking lot. Of course once I got to college, it was sucked. Finally busted the timing belt (thank God for Timing Chains in Jeeps) and sold it broke to a machine shop for $500. Then I held out for my Jeep. I wasn't settling on a sucky car. I had to drive a buick 88 for 6 months til i found my 89 YJ for less than 5k. Now I wish I had looked for a 6 cylinder in the jeep, but i didn't know better, then.[addsig]

57, GMC, panel, 3/4 ton, 4X, V-8 (349 cu.in.) old Forestry service truck (lime green with a white top). Didn´t appreciate what I had, wish I had it today. Really one of a kind.[addsig]

joopin...what engine do you have in your mustang. A buddy of mine is looking to fit his 351 cleveland in a 67 mustang that he just bought but is running into some mounting and clearance problems. Any ideas. Thanks
[addsig]

First ride? 1959 Chevy Apache pick up! I loved that truck. People mocked me, because it was old and kinda beat up. But it ran great and I learned alot about cars because of it.[addsig]

85 Dodge Ram Charger.... I was runnin over trees in the woods less than a week after I got my license... My mom caught me at the car wash getting rid of the mud. I convinced her that I was just washing it off because i care for it. That story was shot down when they found a tree jammed between my axle and frame later that night. Two days later, It was sold on me, that money was turned into a lamp that still sits over my mom's kitchen table

edited by: Snitty, Jan 31, 2003 - 07:50 PM[addsig]

judge, I have a 289 V8 4bbl in mine, but the 67s did come from the factory with enines up to a 390 so that 351 sould fit. Thats a great engine you got there... what exactly is he having probems with? engine mounts? hood clearance? the 68s had a 427 in it come to think of it, and the 67 and 68 is basically the same car but the 68 has side markers...[addsig]

Well the engine mounts didnt exactly line up right but he got an adapter for that. The engine fit very snuggly between the wheel wells but there is probably 3 inches preventing the hood from coming down.[addsig]

I remember my first car. It was an '85 Mercury Topaz. Bought it off my dad for $350, and I ran that biznitch to the ground. Took that thing everywhere.... corn fields, dirt trails.... I thought I was in a Jeep. lol it was a great time. Had other fond memories....[addsig]

My first car was a 1965 Corvette convertible with hardtop...327, 4:11 rearend, silver, gorgeous...my Mom purchased the vehicle in 1966 before I was even thought of. When I was 15 y/o, she said that if I could afford to keep it insured, gassed up, and mechanically sound, I could drive it. So, I went an procured my first job and have been employed every day since!!

I still have the car by the way...still have work to do on it...

Take care, Patti :) [addsig]

65 Chevy Belair, 4 door, Black, No engine... Got it when I was 14 and saved and scrimped and worked on it for 2 years and finished it 2 days before my 16th birthday... Installed a 350/Turbo 350 combo... Painted some nice flames on it, and did all the work myself... I could hual 10 if my freinds around in that boat... Wheelin and dealin, it only cost me $400 total to get her running...

Traded it for a Engineless, drivetrainless, interiorless, 74 Camaro when I was 17... That car was bad ass when I was done... TunnelRammed 396, Muncie "Rockcrusher" 4-speed, 12 bolt posi, GIANT snorkel hoodscoop on an upainted hood... The car was ugly as sin, but twice as fast as it was ugly... Once again, wheeled and dealed my way to that car for a total of $900 (including the $400 spend on the 65)...

I would help friends install engines and stuff in trade for beer and spare parts... Sometimes it pays to be a pack rat... :-D [addsig]

I was the proud owner of a Turquoise Green with white top 1968 Rambler Ambasador! Bought it from my dad for $400.00 (he took advantage of my youth). Running on a set of maypop tires and a cracked windshield. I thought that I was the king of the road. Got it on a Friday evening drove the wheels off that weekend. Off to school Monday morning leaving the parking lot that afternoon with a buddy riding shot gun we were shareing a strange hand rolled smoke of some sort and I droped it on to my carpet. As I reached for the thing and found it I brushed the fire from the carpet and looked up. To my dismay there was a brand new camero in front of me very in front of me. Being young and high I stomped the breaks! No I missed the breaks and floored that pice of junk. Most likely the only time that old family car had ever been gaged. So with no insureance and no money being a poor white boy. I totaled the Ambasador did 2000,oo in damage to the camero and the pick up in front of that and the maveric in front of that one. Moral of this story don't smoke funny hand rolled stuff while you drive. and if you do don't drop it while you are moving. Lord that was back in 1976. Tug :-D :-O :-D [addsig]

My first car was a 92' GMC sonoma...not the 4.3 one it had the 4banger and the stick and was 2wd. I learned how to drive in that truck when it was newer and later it became mine. Of course by the time I got it it was kind of worn out....over 100,000 miles, A/C didn't work, heater didn't work, power nothing, wipers didn't work...only thing that did work was the radio...the tape player ate every tape I put in it. Well anyway it was challenging having to learn how to drive in a stick but it was worth it...there are still grown men that do not know how to drive a stick hehe.[addsig]

my first was 1986 toyota tercel 5dr hb, with the huge I mean huge 1.8 with a modified 5sp that only 3 and 1/2 of the gears worked, you had to hold it in 4th or it would pop out and it had a drinking problem, atleast a qrt of the cheapest oil a week, That Car is where I got all of my 4 whd experence out of a front wheel drive i remeber that we jacked the fron up stuffed wood between the struts and put a set of mud tires on it off of my budies toyota truck drove it all day untill the wood become unlodged and ripped the driver side fender off of it, man I love that car had it 3 month before it was no more cant beat a 200.00 dollar car just wreak them I think my first 4 filled in the slots as hoopties

marc[addsig]

Back