Fog Lights

redwrangler02

So, I bought a light bar for the front of my wrangler off craigslist, it came with 4 lights but that was it. I've managed to wire it up with one switch but only two lights work, the first two on the chain of 4. Any ideas as to why and/or how I can wire all 4 lights to run off of one switch?

That would have to be one serious switch to work with that much amp draw, be sure to wire the lights through a relay so you don't melt the switch or wiring.

X2. I wired mine with 1 relay per lamp since i'm using airplane landing lamp bulbs. You can use 1 relay per 2 lamps to be on the safe side for the sake of the relays longevity.It will keep the switch from frying due to the amp.draw from the lamps.

Well I got all four lights wired to one switch. I've got all four running through a relay and they all work fine. All 4 on and off with the switch. Hopefully the wiring wont melt or I won't fry or screw anything up. :roll:

X2. I wired mine with 1 relay per lamp since i'm using airplane landing lamp bulbs. You can use 1 relay per 2 lamps to be on the safe side for the sake of the relays longevity.It will keep the switch from frying due to the amp.draw from the lamps.

I got some landing lights once, but they're 6v so I've never hooked them up. I know they're bright as hell though!

Well I got all four lights wired to one switch. I've got all four running through a relay and they all work fine. All 4 on and off with the switch. Hopefully the wiring wont melt or I won't fry or screw anything up. :roll:
Just keep tabs on the switch. After a few minutes of having the lamps on, feel the terminals on the back of the switch. If they're getting hot, you may need to split 2 lamps per relay and run it on one switch.

Well so far everything feels ok. I havent run the lights for too long at one time, not any more than 5 or 6 minutes and the only thing that seems to get warm is the wire from all four lights (which are on a parallel circuit) to the relay. Its just one 14 gauge wire so its probably not as big as it should have been but I think im going to switch it out for 10 gauge. The switch feels fine, even better than the relay even, but i am using a 30 amp relay, and probably am going to change it to a 40 amp one to be safe. Sound right?

Back