For you new to Jeepin' a little help for you.

So I've been told that Jeeps of the 90's came with 4.10 gears in 4 cytlinders and something like 3.08's in 6 cylinders........Is this true and should I be looking for a four cylinder to get the lower gears?:???:

Well, I've been studying the internet feverishly to try to learn what I am looking for.......So far it SEEMS that I'd like a YJ to get the leaf springs, and I am hearing that it is best to avoid the carburated versions, so I'd possibly look for EFI and think that is the 1993 to 1995, correct?

Any feedback on any of this? Opinions welcome!;)

Wait let me say this buy a 93-95 YJ with a 6 and get the axles form a 4Cly YJ.
I'm not a big fan of the 4cyl's just there axles LOL.

Oh I'm gonna get hell for this but It was not till The Rubicon did Jeep
put the real good gears behind the 6. 4:11's

I have a 08 JK. I'm not gonna be rock crawlin, mainly mud and sand. My questio, I have the stock 255/75R17's on it, what is the largest tire (width & height) I can mount using the stock wheels and without lifting (or w/ minimal lifting). Thanks.

Attachments

• Jeep 001.jpg
    Jeep 001.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Jeep 002.jpg
    Jeep 002.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 175
Ok a newbie question for you. I will be going from 30" to 32" after a 2.5" lift what gear ratio should I be looking at hoping I'm ok with stock/

Rider11x, the fuel injected 4.0L is found in '91-'95 YJ's, the rollbar changed to cover the rear seat better in '93.

rhynotyme and mikep, you should start a new thread with your questions.

Ok a newbie question for you. I will be going from 30" to 32" after a 2.5" lift what gear ratio should I be looking at hoping I'm ok with stock/

Your going to loose some power going to a bigger tire, this chart should show you what gears to tire size you need. its in RPM's with stock 'jeep' transmissions, based on I6 motors.
Yellow is low torque, black its near stock, and blue is for higher torque.
For a daily driver try to stay in the black.

Attachments

• gear-chart.gif
    gear-chart.gif
    58.1 KB · Views: 276
That chart would work well for any motor.

I wouldn't worry about the color, just find where your stock gear ratio and tire size intersect. Then find the tire size you want to run and move to the right until you find a similar RPM. That gear ratio will get performance back close to stock.

I error on a slightly lower gear (numerically higher) in order to account for the increase in tire mass and to improve acceleration and offroad performance.

That RPM chart. Is that engine RPM, at what speed? I'm asking, because I've got 31's, and to get 2163 RPM, I'd have to be going about 80! I don't think the YJ can run that fast! Lol.

That RPM chart. Is that engine RPM, at what speed? I'm asking, because I've got 31's, and to get 2163 RPM, I'd have to be going about 80! I don't think the YJ can run that fast! Lol.
But it would be 2483 with your stock tire size of 27". It doesn't matter what transmission or what speed, it's all relative when using your stock tire height and gear ratio as a baseline.

And my 4cyl YJ on 36" swampers can do 80, what you got holding you back?

I realize it's all 'relative'. Just asking because the chart states it's for a I-6 with stock trans. That's what I got, but just saying, at 60 mph, 5th gear, I'm reving at a max of around 1500. Not that it makes a difference. I understand I can use the chart, using math.

As far as the 80MPH thing, I'm sure I could go that fast, but it's a jeep! Lol.

Lol. Ya, I'm assuming they are around the 3.07.(had the jeep for about 2 weeks, and haven't gotten around to figuring it out yet) Thought about the v-8 change, but think I'm gonna pass on that one. At least for a while. In the mean time, on the lookout for some 4.10's or lower. So if ya know of any available.............................(probably easier to find hens teeth)

Just to throw my two cents in here, not trying to cause any debate. I have wheeled many Jeeps from L head flattys to diesels and even a V-10 engined TJ. The 4cyl will work fine given the proper gearing. The 6 cyl will just do it a little quicker and with a slight MPG penalty. The thing I like with the 4cyl is it's inherently easy is on drivetrain parts. My point being, for a noobie breaking parts every time you got out gets old quick, and has prevented some from really enjoying the sport.
Auto tranys are more prone to failure due to water contamination than a manual but that goes for any auto not just Jeep. Finding different gear ration for Jeep axles is really pretty easy there is a lot of aftermarket support. I have set up many axles and I would recommend buying new gears. The money you will save on the purchase you will loose and then some in extra labor setting them up.

Back