Ford 8.8" rearend question....

Craig

I think this question might have been asked before but I can't find the post. I've got a Ford 8.8" rearend from an Explorer sittin here and I haven't got around to installing it yet. It has disc brakes. My question is...do I have to upgrade my brake booster or master cylinder and if so with what? Anything else I might have to do?

Hmmm I doubt it. I don't have any conversion experience, but I have worked at Ford for three years before. You should only need to adapt the e-brake system, maybe the brake line fittings, yoke, and add some new leaf perches.

:?: How are the lug patterns?? And the standard width?? I might consider this aswell.

thankx

No You will be all set with what you got. I am waiting to do my own 8.8/YJ install (can't find a suitable donor) but I assisted with one, and what we did is run 8" rubber lines from the caliper to the axle, then hardlines to the drivers side were we used a vent fitting. We had to cap the factory vent hole cause one of the perches covered it simple re drilled. From there we just used a stailess line to the frame mounted factory lines. One thing me did add, which was not neccesary, a Willwood proportioning valve to create a bias to the front for wheeling.
The ebrake, all you need is a 95-98 grand cherokee ebrake cable, fits right into the ford ebrake, and the other side attaches to the factory YJ cables.

Another thing we did what is not brake related, if you at where the axles slide in to the center carrier, you will see I think 5 or 6 holes on each side, weld them up. This will make the rear end 10 times more durable!!

Johnny

Back