freakin' wheels

indiemo

I was just on American Racing's site, trying to narrow down the size of wheels I want to get. I'm going to be getting either 16x8s or 15x8s, haven't decided yet, but I'm confused as to some of the other numbers. They also specify "offset" and "backside" with the wheel sizes. Can someone explain what they mean by this? I think I want to get something with about a 4.75 inch offset, but I'm not exactly sure what that means. Thanks.[addsig]

That measurement is often referred to as backspacing, measured from the wheel mounting surface to the inside lip of the rim. I wouldn't bother with a 16" wheel, your tire choices are fewer and more expensive, and your rim lip is closer to harms way. A taller tire sidewall will also cushion better than a short sidewall.

Save the taller rims for the bling bling and the ricers :lol: [addsig]

I agree with Bounty!!!! 15's are the way to go!!!
That aint no navigator ur driving!!!its a jeep! heheh :-D

nothing nicer than a nice set of chrome 15" rims with some PHAT 33"x12.5" on a 4" Suspension lift :) DAMN!!! i wish!!

edited by: DannyBlaze, Mar 24, 2003 - 04:44 PM[addsig]

Thanks for the advice guys. The reason I was looking at a 16 inch wheel was because then I could get 33s that'd stay between the fender flares. The only 33s I've seen for a 15 inch wheel are 12.50s. For a 16 inch wheel most companies make a 285/75/R16 that's essentially a 33x11.50. I'm not a big fan of the look of super wide tires sticking out beyond the fenders plus I'm pretty sure it's illegal here in PA. But, maybe I'll just stick with the 15s and 31s for now and keep the stock backspacing if I get new wheels.[addsig]

also take a look at aaawheels.com where i bought my stock five spoke alloys from for cheep. they recondition wheels and have a pretty good warrantee. [addsig]

im running 33x12.50r15 on american racing Baja rims. got 79 cj7 with 4 inch suspension lift. the wheels dont stick out past my flares at all. get amer. racings number and call them. i sell tire and rim packages out of my store and when i need info as to what works and what dont i just ring them. give them the jeep info and what you want for tires and let them run with it. they really help out. i get guys that have 14 inch rims on there hondas and they want 17 inch rims instead. yuuuck! OH WELL NOT MY RIDE![addsig]

BFGoodrich makes some 33x10.50 which may be just what you're looking for. Also check out the 33" Buckshot Radial Mudder, it's about 10.5" wide and a sweet mud tire.[addsig]

anybody know where i can get some cheap 15x8 black steel wheels? I like the AR 767 but what places sell them around central VA?[addsig]

Back