front axel

grimmace1

im knew here and to jeeps. my question is without front hubs is the axel always locked in or does it unlock inside? mpg are bad is there a way to install lock out hubs?

What Model and year is your jeep? tire size, 4.0 or 2.4, differential gear ratio, that sort of thing and i dont believe so. i would imagine that if it doesnt have them on the jeep already, that the front diff is open. it would jump and hop alot around corners if it were locked full time and be hell on tires.

i think what i meant was in a 4wd with lockout hubs you can unlock hubs when not in 4wd. with out hubs on jeep front end are huds always locked even when not in 4wd?

Yes. Always "locked". Not in the sense that both tires spin at the same rate, but in the sense that the hubs are "locked" to the shafts and spin the carrier and drive shaft even when not in 4wd. I would imagine you could get locking or lockout hubs, but im not sure.

To my know how. And don't quote me but you can switch hubs, then will be able to put lockouts on done axles. But I know you can't just put them on a stocker.

You can switch the front to outer hub style, but it is expensive. The hub conversion is $450 and then you have to change your outer shaft at right around $200 each side. So for an estimate $750 you can do this.

The benifits of doing this is that if you break a front axle (I have several times) you can simply unlock the front hubs and run on the wheel bearings. Take a look at your style of wheeling. Me I like big rocks, your wheeling may not be as extreme and therefore doesn't warrant the upgrade.

Back