front driveline advice

stan

I ripped out my front drive line and I need some advice on getting another rebuilt or bought for a decent price but somthing that is tough and durable any advic would be appreciated thanks alot .....Stan

When you say "front driveline", I suupose you mean the front axle? If you mean the axle, I'd say replace it with a 1995 dana 30 from a YJ. Why? The 1995 D30 is high-pinion, reverse-cut, and has the larger u-joints than the earlier YJs. Plus, the spring perches should not have to be moved, but I'm not 100% on that part. Maybe someone else can comment on that. If you mean something else, please be more specific. Thanks.

C

When you say "front driveline", I suupose you mean the front axle? If you mean the axle, I'd say replace it with a 1995 dana 30 from a YJ. Why? The 1995 D30 is high-pinion, reverse-cut, and has the larger u-joints than the earlier YJs. Plus, the spring perches should not have to be moved, but I'm not 100% on that part. Maybe someone else can comment on that. If you mean something else, please be more specific. Thanks
C'mon man. You know better than that. A YJ front end has the differential on the driver side and the CJ is on the passenger side. Not to mention the vacuum shift sytem. Sure you could do it but the benefits don't override the cost of flipping the transfer case.
If you want to upgrade the front to another axle, you will have variations in width depending on what axle you choose. You can always have a custom one built from Currie but we are talking major $bling$ on that one. I would say find some axles that are close to the width you desire and swap both the front and rear.
When you go wider in the front then you have to do some fab work to make the spring clear the differential. This usually means moving the springs outboard of the frame rail.
If you're not into that then you can get some chromoly shafts from Warn, some CTM U-joints and some Warn premium hubs and you will have a nice front end. Probably never get your money back out of it, but hey what do you expect.

I just noticed you were from Camp Lejeune. Go over to the DRMO and get a set of axles for dirt cheap. The Blazer CUCV will have 3/4 ton stuff and the trucks will have a Dana 60 and 14 bolt (possibly with a Detroit Locker). This may be overkill for you, but if you find a set of one tons for cheap, it will be a major score. You may save enough to get a Jeep shop to put them in for you.
Just a thought.

Duh. Sorry, didn't think about the diff being on the driver's side. Ignore me "pre-coffee" post.

C

Back