Gearing opinions

derrelw

Hey guys,
I have a 2000 TJ Sahara with a 4.0 / Auto running 32" tires with 3.73 gears. Desert Rat tells me I should change my gears to 4.10's for $1200.00 installed. Opinions?
Thanks,
Derrel

i'm running 33's with 3.73 and i have no problems with it. I'm going to upgrade sometime but when i do lockers are going in at the same time to save a little money on labor. think about that one.

That seams really expensive to me. First off, Desert Rat is WAY over priced. Get another quote, from a smaller shop on just the labor. Add the cost of the parts and compare.
I got mine done for around 700, but I did have a hook up.

Go to Drivetrain superstores to price the gears:
http://www.drivetrainsuperstores.com/default.asp

They've been great with me, even though I screwed up and misdiagnosed my rear axel, they were willing to work with me to correct the mistake.

4.10's sound good if you are going to stick with 32's, are you going to upgrade?

Hope this helps.

Hey, I noticed you are in Albuquerque!!! I miss Burque, I went to High School there. All the hispanic side of my family is there. Nice to have a fellow jeeper close by.
I know that Desert Rat you are talking about.. the one on San Mateo... right? THEY ARE OVER PRICED!! Beware. And they aren't very good either.

Where abouts are you living?

Our area is getting more members, maybe we can all go wheelin'.

Go to 4.56 if you're going to spend the money, 4.10 from 3.73 is not enough of a change/improvement to justify the cost, labor, downtime, etc.

You'll be fine keeping the 3.73 with 32" tires and the auto. The auto multiplies torque and compensates some for the larger tires. 3.73 is a decent ratio to begin with.

If it were me I wouldn't consider regearing that setup unless I had 35" or larger tires.

Thanks for the input guys. I am planning to install an auto locker at the same time (Powertrax, EZ locker, etc.) but that wasn't included in the $1200.00. They said they would install it for the same labor plus $400 for the unit.
Mingez I live in Ventana Ranch way out on the West Mesa near the Volcanos. I'd love to hook up and do some trails if you're in the area.
Yes it is that Desert Rat. Darren the manager has cut me some good deals but I will shop around before I go for it.
Bounty how will going to 4.56 affect my gas milage / range? Sounds great for rock crawling but I use my TJ for a daily driver as well.
Thanks guys,
Derrel

BTW Mingez the crest got 18" of new snow yesterday, almost 6 feet total! I'm going skiing today.
Happy Trails,
Derrel

I agree with Bounty, I wouldn't regear unless going OVER 33" tires with that setup. A couple of cheap engine mods would make more difference in the way it drives than swapping from 3.73 to 4.10, if you've felt a power loss with the bigger tires. I don't really like 4.56:1 with that small of a tire, especially with the 4.0L or without overdrive.

4.56 should bring the rpm range back close to what you had with stock tires, if you use them in conjunction with 33" tires. Check out a gear calculator on the web and plug in your gear ratio, stock tire size, and new tire size and it should spit out the ideal gear ratio to return to the stock rpm range.

Go slightly lower for a slower crawl ratio, slightly higher for better fuel mileage on the road.

Gears generally cost around $200 a set, so figure $400 for the pair. Labor runs $150+ per axle, there is a local jeep stealership mechanic near here that does it on the side for $150 per axle. That's about $700 and I don't think you'll find it much cheaper through a mechanic.

I thought I saw a 4.2 something one time, has anyone heard of that? Sounds like a good gearing for 33"'s that see highway driving. Might be better too getting through emissions?

4.11, 4.56, and 4.88 are common ratios for the stock Wrangler axles. No 4.2x that I've seen available, but possibly for another type of axle.

Get a load of this...

So I called a local place to get an estimate to replace my stock 2.73's to 3.54's, and they told me $1600! $1600! They said that I needed to get a new carrier for the AMC 20, but still, $1600 is way too much in my opinion.

Yes it is, considering the carrier is $150 or less. Around hear the going rate at a shop is about $300 per axle or less for labor, so you're looking at about $1000 to regear. It can be done for a lot less if you check with the local jeep clubs and see who does good inexpensive work on the side, or check the race shops that do a lot of gears.

Bounty__Hunter said:
4.11, 4.56, and 4.88 are common ratios for the stock Wrangler axles. No 4.2x that I've seen available, but possibly for another type of axle.

Actually if your wrangler has a dana 44, you can get an inbetween gear of 4.27.

Go here for prices: http://www.drivetrainsuperstores.com/store_axle2.asp?axle=26

BUT, I say just go up to 4.56. It's perfect for hill climbs and trail. It's not a rock crawling gear at all. 4.88 or higher (usually higher) is the rock crawling zone for gear ratios.
Most people with 35's and 4.56 gears that I've talked to regret not going higher. So for 32/33" tires, should be perfect.

derrelw said:
BTW Mingez the crest got 18" of new snow yesterday, almost 6 feet total! I'm going skiing today.
Happy Trails,
Derrel

I am sooo jealous. I remember going to Sandia for some snowboarding between classes at UNM. I have a friend that lives in Ventana Ranch. I used to live on Taylor Ranch and Montano.

Down here in Hell, we got the same storm, but only with drizzle and wind. I miss green chile too. Down here it's all Mexican Food and not NEW Mexican food, so no green chile, mostly jalapenos. Very bad.

--I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Albuquerque.

'04 Rubi pro's and con's

Speaking of New Mexico, I went to NMSU in Las Cruces for a couple of years. I miss the food down there! But west of El Paso over by Sunland Park there is this incredible barbecue restaurant, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Man that was good barbecue! Been to Juarez lately?

Slight Over heating while sitting still

So I called a local place to get an estimate to replace my stock 2.73's to 3.54's, and they told me $1600! $1600! They said that I needed to get a new carrier for the AMC 20, but still, $1600 is way too much in my opinion.
The last time I looked into re-gearing a Model 20 was about 5 years ago. At that time West Coast Differentials had them for $54.
You can probably go to a Jeep shop and get a whole rearend that is already geared 3.54 for $200. A lot of people pull the Model 20 and upgrade to something else. There is bound to be a pile of them laying around.

mingez said:
Actually if your wrangler has a dana 44, you can get an inbetween gear of 4.27.

BUT, I say just go up to 4.56. It's perfect for hill climbs and trail. It's not a rock crawling gear at all. 4.88 or higher (usually higher) is the rock crawling zone for gear ratios.
Most people with 35's and 4.56 gears that I've talked to regret not going higher. So for 32/33" tires, should be perfect.
But, should somebody install 4.27 in the D44, what would they put in the front D30, 4.11 or 4.56? :roll:

When you use 'higher' you mean 'higher numerically'. Using 'higher' without qualifying it with 'numerically' can be confusing as most people consider higher gears as taller gears, like 2.72 and 3.07, with 4.88 5.13 5.38 being commonly considered as 'lower'.

The only reason I'm pointing this out is so that everybody is on the same sheet of music with the least amount of konfuzion.

I am runnin 35 with 3.73s fine for now wont regear till I get stronger axles the lower you go the easier it is to snap axles

The other thing to consider is that you may want to change your bearings while you are there. A lot of offroad shops like mine will add this into the price of setting up ring and pinions because it is a logical thing to do. Most places that set up a lot of ring and pinions won'r even give you the option of not doing it. Price will vary around the US and also depends on reputation of the shop. We are know for doing it and are usually around $500 per axle and $600 per axle if we are changing the bearings. Going labor rate in our area is $65/hr so this also plays into it. There is a shop in our area that is nationally know in the racing world and he charges $2500 per axle to set up ring and pinion.

Back