General Re-Gearing Question

Hey folks,

I have a very general question about re-gearing. I just installed 32" tires on my TJ. I would assume it would be a *very* good idea to re-gear now.

I know nothing about that. What does it involve? How much do parts usually run? Install?

Thanks guys! You guys kick ass as always.

See ya on the trails,

Rob

re-gearing normally runs your about a 1000 installed, it was about 2000 for my 4.88's and my posi to get installed

Depends on what the original diff was and how you use your jeep. If you have the 3.07 it would be a good idea to have them lowered. However, if you have the 3.73 and your jeep is mainly for city driving you should be fine, if you wheel it often though you will see performace gains by lowering it, but again is more of a personal preference thing. I've never driven the 2.5 litre/ 4.11 gear combo to know how it feels, however if youre going from the 28's that usually come on those I would think that it would be a really good idea to have it lowered.

i would regear but dont go too low if u use ur jeep in the high way alot its normally cheaper if u do it your self

ford 9inch and dana 44...

if you plan on doing it yourself, it can be done... but you'll want to read up on it first... plan on paying about 200 per set... check ebay, many people who swap out their 4.10 or 3.73 gears will let them go REALLY cheap on there...

you can usually find a set of axles of a four banger jeep pretty easiy and cheap. they will have the desirable 4.11 gear ration you would need and also be a direct bolt in. saves a lot of money in the long run. i went this route and have no trouble at all turning my 36 inch swamper tsl"s.

I agree , if you can find axels from a 4cyl its worth the extra $$ to avoid adjustments and you get spare parts like drivelines, brake lines, calipers, etc.., but in my case no such luck since I live in an area where there are now junkjeeps, sow I swaped from a junked cherokee till now ived spent 270$ total. good luck.

Back