Getter MPG?

kidk9

Anybody have any hints on how to get more MPGs outta my beast, I know its not a Honda (thank god!), but I'm getting around 11mpg out of my rebuit 304. It has a T150 3 speed, and 33 inch all terrains. Any help? It has a 14 gallon gas tank and I'm filling the darn thing up every other day as I'm only getting 130 miles per tank. Thanks a ton. I asked the mechanic to look at my carb and he said its a big carb for a big engine, there's no "raw" gas smell, just its a gassy engine. Any help?[addsig]

My 258 has only ever made about 13-14 mpg since I've had it (3 years now). The carb on mine is my problem. Planning on switching to a 350 within the next 12 months (already have engine, just need time). Figured mileage would not be much worse with a mild build.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Your mechanic is right. Big Engine & Big Carb = Bad Fuel milleage no matter how well it runs. One major improvement in fuel economy can be made by installing a fuel injection kit on it. I'm pretty sure Holley makes one.

I get 20-23mpg highway and around 17-18 in town with my 86 258 and Mopar MPI kit. [addsig]

I think that the Jacobs ignition should improve your gas milage.

Taken from their site:

Jacobs' computer-controlled ignitions "modify spark output in response to changing environment and running conditions. By tailoring spark voltage, duration, and phase angle for each cylinder on every power stroke. Jacobs Electronics' computer-controlled ignition systems improve performance, gas mileage, engine life, and lengthen intervals between tune-ups.

Another thought is a bigger gas tank

[addsig]

Had a Dodge 318 for years, with a one barrel, on a 1 1/4 ton truck got a few miles to the gallon better than yours. I put a four barrel on it and lost some low end torque, but gained a little top end and lost a few miles to the gallon. Finally changed back to the one barrel. Just a thought. Fuel injection is still about the best gas saver with a larger motor, along with a good ignition (with a knock sensor). But gets expensive fast.[addsig]

I have the same problem and getting more problems seeking failures for improving. I got 10 miles per gallon and Rene Box U.K. have the same 258 , he got 13 miles pergallon in city (imperial gallon) and on the road got 20 miles per gallon at 60 mph.

I read about Tornado . like a turbien inside air filter and says improve mileage and power. Also found something as magnetic fuel saver.

I will look around Mopar mpi kit and taht jacobs and injection, but it is a matter of cost benefit.

If you get some improve, please let me know it to share experiences

regards

Willy
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey kid,

I have the 304 and T-150, also I am running an edelbrock 650. What size carb are you running on yours?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back