good bye my beloved 4 litre

carpenter

ok i changed the oil in my 4 litre cherokee,to a high mileage 5 w 20 oil,not a good idea.within 100 km it started banging hard eventually shutting down till i coasted stop on the highway.Its an old 99 with 175,00 mile ,not km.I can get a 4 litre from a tj with 45,000 km on it.I was wondering if they are a compatable engine any ideas?

Last edited:

What year is your XJ? And what year is the TJ? There are some differences between '97-'03 and '03-'06 4.0's in the TJ. Specifically, prior to '03 they use a distributor and spark plug wire setup on the ignition, '03-'06 uses a coil-pack type setup.

my cherokee is a 1999 im not sure what year the tj is, as the salvage yard is closed this easter weekend but i will find out.cherokee has a distributor?as i see it when i change my plugs and wires

Last edited:

on the new engine i would just run what is specified but go full synthetic.

yeah im just gonna buy a new engine,or rebuilt, and have it installed.Does anyone have suggestions from where to buy in ft mc alberta,or anywhere in alberta ,canada?Im pretty sure i should go with a long block but what else should i salvage off old motor for the switch over?Yeah Extra Medium I will be running synthetic for sure,amsol any good?

i prefer mobile 1, but i guess just about any big name is decent.

I prefer Mobil 1 myself, but I heard that they changed their "recipe" a couple years ago and it's not as good as it used to be. Still haven't had any issues with it myself though. I believe they were formerly the only oil company short of Redline/Royal Purple whose full synthetic was actually fully synthetic. Long story, but basically if you don't know, synthetics used to be, well, synthetic. Then Castrol came out with Syntec and advertised it as being a full synthetic oil despite the fact that it wasn't really synthetic (it's actually made from dino-oil). Lawsuits were filed, and the courts decided that Castrol could in fact legally market Syntec as a full synthetic which lead almost all the other oil manufacturers to switch to a dino-oil based "synthetic" because it was cheaper to produce. Mobil-1, however, continued to make a fully synthetic synthetic oil (which of course performs better than anything based on dino-oil), but I heard a couple years ago they changed their minds.

I run amsoil in my motorcycle, works great, air cooled harley in Florida. I ran Mobil 1 in my vehicles. I believe it is personal preference. Really up to you. Both are quality products.

i have a rebuilt long block but was thinking of chroming it up, oil pan,valve cover, water pump,anything else to make it shine?

i wouldn't waste the money. It's a jeep that is meant to be off road a get dirty. I would put the money from that stuff into a lift or lockers or something.

i put lift in and gonna do lockers this summer but 95 percent of my time is driving across canada when i drive at all

Back