Good Places for Hi-Lift Jacks..

Jesse

Can anyone give me some good ideas on good places & ways to mount a Hi-Lift jack? Also, can I get guidance as to whether I should get the 48" or the 60". It's much appreciated.

I've seen some mounted on the hood below the windshield and also on the front and rear bumpers. I don't have a hi-lift yet either, but I'm pretty sure they make mounting brackets. It may be a good idea to get a lock and chain or strong cable to lock it down. Theives like to pick off stuff like that. As far as the length, I'm not sure. I would guess the length that would work best for you depending on how much of a lift you have. The 60"er would probably be more universal for whatever situations that may arise.

The 60" is harder to find a place to mount. I have a 3.5" lift with 33" tires and the 48" has always been tall enough. Like jeeper99 said I've seen them across the hood and before igot my winch mine was on my front bumper. I run a safari top so mine is mounted strait up on the inside of the tailgate.Hi Lift makes the 4xRAC and the pins that hold the jack have holes for locks.

Ahh. Okay thanks. & I thought i saw someone have it on top of their windshield frame, has anyone seen or heard of that? Or am I going crazy (Although I'm pretty sure I already am...) & imagining things?

Check out ROC DOG Fabrication (rocdogfab.com) They have a couple of nice hi lift mounts. One is a receiver hitch mount. Whole thing comes out if you don't want to carry it everyday. Slips into a 2" receiver for your trip.

The other version are mounts for your front bumper. Clears the winch (if you have one).

Attachments

• Hi Lift8.JPG
    Hi Lift8.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 6,577
  • HiLift Mount4.JPG
    HiLift Mount4.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 3,305
I would not recommend mounting to the front of the front bumper or back of the back bumper, that is if you wheel your Jeep. I had a buddy that had one mounted to his front bumper when we first met him, told him that was a bad idea, he said it was fine, we laughed our a$$es off watching him try to pull it out where it was wedged between his bumper, a rock and front tire. It kills your approach and departure angle and when half of it gets ripped off it can be a p.i.t.a..

Here's a better picture of it on the TJ. We have been running the jack this way for awhile now and haven't had any problems on the trail. We run Colorado and Utah trails frequently. As for the rear receiver mount Hi Lift, clearance is great - in fact the Hi Lift mount doesn't stick out as far as the tire does! If you imagine a line from the back of the tire to the bottom of the Jeep, the jack remained within that profile. In fact, we found the tire hit obstacles - not the jack (the reciever mount is on our YJ and the front mount is on our TJ)

Attachments

• Hi Lift on Richard.JPG
    Hi Lift on Richard.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 4,402
Last edited:

It's best to mount the hilift inside the jeep if you want it to stay clean enough to work when you need it the most. Best place I've found is between the two rollbar uprights behind the rear seat and over the trunk area. I used muffler clamps but it's a cleaner install to use fencepost clamps like the below pic. Then use wingnuts to hold the hilift to the bolts.
image-missing.png

It's best to mount the hilift inside the jeep if you want it to stay clean enough to work when you need it the most. Best place I've found is between the two rollbar uprights behind the rear seat and over the trunk area. I used muffler clamps but it's a cleaner install to use fencepost clamps like the below pic. Then use wingnuts to hold the hilift to the bolts.

Would the hard top still fit fine if I had the jack on the rear roll bar like that? If it did, would it also fit out the back window?

Last edited:
Yes, the shorter of the two hilifts will fit with both the soft and hard tops. Pretty sure you can get it out the back window if you hold the jack diagonally in the opening.

Hmm, alright thanks for all your input & help Bounty__Hunter, I appreciate it very much.

In fact, thank you ALL for your input & help.

Last edited:
I would not recommend mounting to the front of the front bumper or back of the back bumper, that is if you wheel your Jeep. I had a buddy that had one mounted to his front bumper when we first met him, told him that was a bad idea, he said it was fine, we laughed our a$$es off watching him try to pull it out where it was wedged between his bumper, a rock and front tire. It kills your approach and departure angle and when half of it gets ripped off it can be a p.i.t.a..

Mine's mounted there and I have to agree!!! :redface::redface::redface:

image-missing.png

My 48" HL is mounted sort of like this (slightly different, but more or less the same) and I have no problems with running my hard top...

Here are some pics:

DSC00079-3.jpg

DSC00080-3.jpg

DSC00081-3.jpg

Having the HL here not only keeps it nice and clean, but also keeps it safer than outside the Jeep...

Felipe

(sorry don't mean to Hi Jack)
anyone here with a XJ that has their Hi Lift mounted inside. picked up a 48" and I was thinking about mouting it on the roof rack i have..but am concerned about it being exposed to elements and prying eyes..(of course,they'd need a ladder to remove it..) I guess i could get a locking mount and cover for it..

(jesse,sorry again for hi jacking.would of hated to start another thread asking similar question..)

I would avoid mounting it outside the vehicle, it will rust up pretty bad depending on where you live. I simply rest mine across the back, wheel well to wheel well and use some HD bungi cords and secure it down to the farthest foward rear seat mounts. I used to have it on the roll bars like Bounty showed, but in a couple cases where I need it where I needed it quickly, they way seamed too timely to retrieve it out.

Edit, here is the best pic I could find. you can sort of see the bungi cords holding it down. I've rolled the jeep and it has never budged

S1033433-1.jpg

My buddy has a smitty built jack (same design) mounted on the hood hinges and he had trouble with interferance with the windsheild washer sprayer... I didn't figure it'd do that but it did. he's running a '97 with 2 sprayers but it'd still interfere with the single sprayer

Back