got the wrong rim backspacing:( what to do?

coolmemin

Alright here's how it all came down, I went to my local 4wheel parts wholesalers store and got a set of four 31x10.50 procomp mud terrains and 4 rockcrawler wheels for my stock TJ. Both had the buy 3 get 1 free deal so I was pretty excited, anyways, the guy asked me what backspacing I wanted and not knowing the exact number at the time I said whatever stock backspacing is. He said, "I think its 3.75" I asked him if he was sure and he said yes so I believed the guy, I got them mounted and everything and they stick out quite a bit, so I reasearched it and found out that stock backspacing is 5.5" so I called him up and he told me that 5.5" would stick out more!!! WHAT??? These are the "knowledgeable people selling stuff"? I don't know much but I at least know that he's trying to mess with me. So he says to call him again but from what I hear it doesn't look like I'm going to get anything accomplished. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew anybody with 31x10.50 and 15x8 rims with 3.75" backspacing and if they will rub my fenders. At this point if they don't then I will just keep them, but if I confirm that they do, I will have to go in and try my damndest to get something done. The truth is I don't like getting pissed off at people so if they won't damage anything I don't care, if there's a chance that they will trash my fenders, then I REALLY care. I appreciate any suggestions and I just want to let all you guys that have answered my questions that I ave learned a ton from you and I love this board :-D [addsig]

That is the proper backspacing for those rims and tires. You should be fine

[addsig]

Just keep in mind your states inspection and Tire laws........you don't want any surprises like I had.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Well, you shouold inspect the tires yourself and check to see if you have enough space in there. Take into consideration the offroading you may do and determine if it will work. You may find some info at tirerack.com . They have the wheels and tires that should fit your Jeep. -Al[addsig]

I had a problem like that on my 01 TJ. I bought wheels and tires from 4wheel parts and got the 15x10 rockcrawlers with 3.75in backspacing for my 33x12.50's. Even with my 6in flares they stuck out about an inbch too far (which is a problem in Hawaii). I ended up getting a set of 15x8 rockcrawlers with 4.5in backspacing and it tucks the tires in just right. For your case, if it's a problem right now, you can run 31x10.50's on the stock rims without a problem.

sticky outty tires ? like these ?

image-missing.png

Rob 8) :p :)

The 31 x 10.5 should not stick out that far with 8" rims They should be about even with your flare edge.

Straight from BDS:

Maximum Tire Size 2" lift: 31" x 10.50"
3.5" lift: 33" x 12.50"

Wheel Size 2" lift: 15x8
3.5" lift: 15x8

Backspacing 2" lift: 3.5"
3.5" lift: 3.5"

Man if only I had the same problem.... Here I am trying to find 15"X8" 5 on 4.5 with a backspace that will trip you as you walk by. I want them puppies WAY out there. I am so top heavy cause of this 3" body lift I want the wider stance. I want to be like Bruce Lee was when he would fight Rock Steady Planted to the Ground! Anyone know where I could get some 15"X8" 5 on 4.5 black wagon wheels for my '95 YJ? I'll trade some stock gamblers w/ wheels for 'em....

Maybe I could get some cleats for my jeeps?

Back