GPS gurus, What do you think of this?

I'm no guru, but I use my handheld and my VW nav system all the time.

The fact system is light years ahead of my Garmin Legend (which is only 2 years old). It's just awesome. She's my "other woman".

I never heard of that brand in that link you posted, but that doesn't mean much (like I said, I'm not a guru). I was thinking of buying a Magellan for the Mrs.

I'm guessing if it works and has the features you want you're gonna love it no matter which one you get.

Last edited:
Lowrance was making depth finders for marine use for many, many years before GPS was available. Don't know much about their newer stuff, but when I first got into GPS stuff back in 2003, their stuff was pretty much bottom of the barrel. I'm sure they've improved since then, though. Don't know how the price compares, but a Garmin or Magellan vehicle GPS system would be the best bet. Not familiar with Magellan so much, but Garmin makes several different types for your vehicle, including those with "voice command and directions". I get by just fine with my little handheld Garmin Legend.

A buddy of mine has their 500c (almost the same but a larger screen),and has good luck with it, i personally like the garmin's over the lowrance, from what i have seen people have had far more problems with lowrance units than any of the garmins.

I have a Garmin and Magellan, the garmin has been replaced four times now and they will not extend my warranty. What does this mean. I had a one year warranty on it and all four crashed during that time, yes they replaced them with a refurbished unit, but I still only had a year warranty from original purchase. Now, the last one is acting up and I am stuck, even though I have not had it that long. That's poor. The magellan is good, but doesn't have as many whistles as the garmin. My recommendation is make sure your getting the software you want with the gps you guy or you'll pay bucks after the fact. Many of the lowarnce have free downloads at their website. Garmin and Magellan both have serious price tags on their different types of software. Good Luck.

I am probably missing it but I didnt see pricing anywhere on your link. How much do these bad boys run. I have been thinking about getting a GPS too.

I am looking at the i350 because it has a battery backup and built in speakers. The i500 is larger, has more memory, but has external speakers and no battery backup.
The i350 is about $430 at Circuit City.
I have seen many Lowrance units in use when we go out deep sea fishing. They are pretty much marine, but also have a BAJA line of GPS units for off road racing. Here's the automotive lineup:
http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/

Magellan has some hand helds for under $300 that are rugged, water proof, etc. They are not the fancy "voice directions" but for marking trails, hazards, camp sites, etc. they are great. They have color screens and uploadable maps with POI (Points of Interest). Since it's hard to lock stuff up in a Jeep, portable is better.

I have a Garmin and Magellan, the garmin has been replaced four times now and they will not extend my warranty. What does this mean. I had a one year warranty on it and all four crashed during that time, yes they replaced them with a refurbished unit, but I still only had a year warranty from original purchase. Now, the last one is acting up and I am stuck, even though I have not had it that long. That's poor. The magellan is good, but doesn't have as many whistles as the garmin. My recommendation is make sure your getting the software you want with the gps you guy or you'll pay bucks after the fact. Many of the lowarnce have free downloads at their website. Garmin and Magellan both have serious price tags on their different types of software. Good Luck.

that stinks.. what model did you get?

I have a magellan Platinum,My buddy has had many garmin's. His new one has voice prompts,touch screen Ect. Both brand's rock! Just get the one you will be happy with, no matter what.

I went and looked at the Lowrance. It was fine, but everything was touch screen with unfamiliar icons, meaning I would actually have to read the manual. It seemed to function pretty well, but the salesman was really pushing the Magellan and Garmins.
I definitely want the GPS with the MP3, voice prompts,want it to be portable and would like a screen slightly larger than 3.5"(but not necessary). So any recommendations based on those parameters? I'm not really interested in the handhelds.

Back