Greatest Sports Moment

mud4feet

RE: Wiring: york oba, cigarette lighter socket, radio

Ok, new off the wall topic.

I just finished watching "Miracle" (again) and was wondering what everyone considered the greatest sports moment of their lifetime. Red Sox breaking the curse of the Babe?...The Dolphins going undefeated?....Villinova spanking Georgetown for the NCAA Championship (probably the most perfect game of basketball I've ever seen played)?......Mark Spitz?.........Lance Armstrong?..........So many to choose from and so many different age groups on here, thought it might be interesting.........

Ok, so obviously my vote is for the 1980 US Hockey team's victory over the Soviets in the Olympics - not the gold medal, the defeat of the Rusky Hockey machine!!! Has to be the most unprobable sports victory I have ever witnessed! When I hear Al Michaels doing that countdown, saying "Do you believe in miracles?".........sends shivers up my spine every time......can't help it, it just happens. So I guess that qualifies.

What y'alls take?

RE: BH and Sully...gen chat

The Ravens entire 2000 season. That defense was the best ever, and although there could be an arguement made for the "Iron Curtain" Steelers, you'll never convince me. They were incredible.

After going 5-4 they won thier next seven of the regular season then plowed through Denver and Tennesee to get to Oakland for the AFC CHampionship:

I have many many plays that stick out in my head from that season, but the one that will eternally live in my memory may not be a great moment in sports history but it is perhaps my favorite sports moment:

When Tony "The Goose" Siragusa landed on Rich Gannon in the AFC Championship game. It was like a pro-wrestling "splash" and Gannon's eyes were popping out and looking opposite directions. The 342 lb Goose was a bit much for Gannon. He was done, the Raiders were done, and my Ravens were headed to the Super Bowl.

if i were alive in 1980, my vote would have been for US hockey, but since i was not, it undoubtedly goes to the 2004 boston red sox for winning the world series in dramatic fashion. second to that would be the 2001 ncaa men's ice hockey champion boston college eagles, who pretty much dominated every tournament they were in that season (great lakes invitations, beanpot champs, hockey east regular season champs, hockey east tournament champs, and then ncaa champs). and next, but definately not least would be the new england patriots and their two superbowl wins, they come in third because A) nothing is bigger in this town than the red sox, not even tom brady and B) i'm a hockey player, so as much as i love football, hockey is my favorite sport.

"The Catch"
It was called Sprint Right Option, and it was third and three from the six-yard line, with less than 90 seconds to play in the 1981 NFC championship game. The 49ers trailed the Cowboys by six points, and Montana was rolling out so deliberately that the sideline became a concern.

"Montana rolls out to his right. Looks left looks right nobody's open, he taps the ball once, twice, and throws it to the back of the enzone and... OH MY GOD!!!!! DWIGHT CLARK COMES DOWN WITH THE FOOTBALL!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!"

And the Cowboys are stunned and speechless with disbelief!

....It was the beginning of the greatest...

I cried when I saw that. I was 7, and I'll never forget. Nothing can...and ever will be that incredible.

image-missing.png
image-missing.png

hmmm building on mingez, if we're going by single greatest play/moment, i'd have to say bottom of the 9th, game 4 of the 2004 world series, keith foulke on the mound, makes the pitch, renteria grounds back to foulke, foulke pumps his fist and underhands it to meintkeiwicz, and for the first time in 86 years the boston red sox are your world series champions!!!! i laughed, jumped up and down, i hugged everyone in the room, and i cried, my parents called me hysterical. amazing.

I gotta vote with mudman on this one- I was watching the 1980 Olympic Hockey game and when those college boys beat the Russians I was bawling! THAT was a dream team- not because of who they were when they came onto the team, but because of what they became- awesome.
I really like everyone's passion about their picks.....you can just feel the excitement all over again.
I HATE drama in my relationships, I'm not too crazy about drama at work, drama in the weather makes me nervous, but I LOVE drama in sports!
Big Game this weekend! We'll be watching!

RE: Anyone wanna help install a lift in NE Illiniois?

Well it appears that alot of our picks are a little biased to our favorite teams/cities. bchcky = Boston, Mingez = San Fran. As it probably should be concidering great wins from our favorite teams mean the most to us on a personnal level. But in my mind I would definitely have to go with the USA gold metal run in the Lake Placid Olympics (damn that was in NY where I live). You have to love the complete underdog who stuck it to a Soviet team that was UNSTOPPABLE and this was on a world stage, not just a national one. I would put the US hockey at #1 with Rulon Gardner's gold metal run at the 2000 Olympics a very very close second. He beat a Russian wrestler who hadn't lost an international match in 13 YEARS and hadnt even given up a point in 10 YEARS. For those of you who dont know anything about wrestling, not giving up a point would be the equivalent of not giving up a hit or a walk essencially pitching a perfect game every time you started for 10 years.

My Greatest Sports momement on a personal level would be the 2003 NCAA Men's Basketball Tourney. Syracuse University swept the powerhouse Big Ten conference in tourney play and With Kansas needing a three-point field goal to tie and less than two seconds showing on the game clock in the championship game, Kirk Hinrich passed to Michael Lee, who appeared to be wide open. But as Lee launched, the Warrick seemed to come out of nowhere and block Lee's potential tying goal out of bounds and give Syracuse University their first NCAA National Basketball championship in 103 years. Considering SU started the season unranked I would have to believe their championship was one of the greatest all-time.

How 'bout Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception. Maybe not the greatest moment, but it was amazing!!!

(Posted by a Steeler's hater so you know there's no bias ;) )

TwistedCopper said:
How 'bout Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception. Maybe not the greatest moment, but it was amazing!!!

(Posted by a Steeler's hater so you know there's no bias ;) )

Definetly the greatest incomplete pass in history...But those Steelers where amazing.

When Rocky beat Mr. T or when Honey Roy Palmer beat those 10 dudes in Diggstown. It's a toss up for me.

RE: Seat belts

phattie said:
When Rocky beat Mr. T or when Honey Roy Palmer beat those 10 dudes in Diggstown. It's a toss up for me.

HAHAHA!!!! That's great.........not really what I was expecting.......but very funny!!! How 'bout when Stone Cold Steve Austin won the WWF heavyweight championship?!?

I read Lance Armstrong's book "It's not about the Bike" and for anybody to just plain live thought cancer that was spread through out his body and brain is a miracle in it self. Now, throw in 6 Tour wins (you have to understand bike racing to comprehend how difficult it is to win once or even be invited).

RE: Help me pick a front bumper...

Greatest moment I ever personally watched was Kirk Gibson in the first game of the 1988 World Series hitting that game winning homerun. The fact that he was injured made it so sweet...

The SOx coming back and winning against the yankees after a 0-3 record was a biggy!

There was the Doug Flutie Immaculate reception BC vs Miami

NOVEMBER 23, 1984 Boston College 47, Miami 45
In retrospect, Miami's problem was that they scored too efficiently. The touchdown that put them ahead 45-41 came with 28 seconds to play, and BC Eagles quarterback Doug Flutie needed just 6 seconds to become a college legend.

With his team down and time running out, Flutie had the ball on his own 48. He called for "Flood Tip" - BC's version of "everyone go deep." The little, 5'9 3/4" quarterback scrambled back and to his right, giving four receivers time to reach the end zone. From his own 37-yard line, he plants his left foot and lets it fly, 64 yards in the air ... in the rain, into the teeth of a fierce wind, into a crowd of players ... and somehow found Gerard Phelan in the end zone. Flutie won the Heisman, BC won a Cotton Bowl bid over the defending national champions, and poor Bernie Kosar of Miami threw for 447 yards and no one noticed.

Earlier in the game, Flutie had become the first to ever pass for more than 10,000 yards in a major-college career. Until today, no two college quarterbacks had ever surpassed 300 yards apiece in one game. Flutie finished with 472 yards

Stanley Cup finals 1970, Bobby Orr's Dive!
image-missing.png

Back