grille guards

Greencuke

i was just wondering, a lot of pics and such i see guys dont have them (grill guards). id think that all the wheeling i do in the tight trails would put my front end at risk for kising a tree. is a guard worth the money im gonna spend to get one, or should i just make a point to drive better?

Reggie[addsig]

i was thinking i might want one too... but for 400 bucks, count me out. if i find a used one for less than 50 bucks i'll spring for it, but i have better things to spend my money on. better tires and brake pads will help you avoid hitting whatever you'd smash the front end of your car with anyway.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

just do like i did and build your own. they are much stronger and much cheaper. i got all the stuff to build a front bumper and grill guard for less that 30 buck. all it took was a little time, lots of welding and some spray paint[addsig]

and then we are back to the welding issue. it seems that if i have any future in being a jeep guy, im going to have to get involved in the world of welding...

Reggie[addsig]

I'm with ya Greencuke. My Dad's teaching me how to weld this month. Building some inner racks and a roof rack for my YJ. Hey, do you guys know of any place that dips things into chrome? I've heard of places,but can never find one.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Welding is easy once you get the hang of it. I took 3 years of metal shop in high school and welded almost every day of high school. Stick welding makes the strongest weld and the machines are cheaper....but its harder to get a good bead and takes quite a bit of practice. MIG or wire welding is super easy....a lot easier than stick....the machines cost more than stick but it makes up for it in ease. Strong welds can be had but for super heavy stuff....like frames I would use a stick. When I was in shop the teacher forced us to master stick welding first before we could use the MIG welders...simply because once you use a MIG...youll never want to hassle with a stick again hehe.[addsig]

I agree- a MIG welder is to metal what a hot-glue gun is to everything else...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

I have used one to make things I never would have thought about making with a stick welder. I have fabicated my own custom shock system, axle perches, light bar and welded in a new floor in my Jeep. I am trying to come up with a design for a grill guard that will not only have function, but also look cool. Also trying to design a new rear bumper so I can have a trailer hitch. I know you can buy both of these, but why pay $500+ when you can make it yourself?

MIG Welder + scrap steel = lots of fun
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

because unfortunate folks like myself cannot make them. :*( oh well, who needs money anyway?[addsig]

One day i will learn to weld
image-missing.png
i think this is my 100th post! haha think when i get to 4 stars my name will be "welder" in stead of "member?" yea i doubt it too[addsig]

Greencuke-

If we come up with a good design and can manufacture them at a decent rate, is it something that you would be interested in?? Or even if you want to come up with a basic design and what sizes of materials you would want we could try and maybe get an estimate cost for price- Its just an idea and something to think about. I would also rather have something on my Jeep that people like but haven't seen before on a hundred other Jeeps....

-Keep in mind it wouldn't be powdercoated or anything- we would probably just send it to you without any paint, that way you can paint it the way you want-

This is only just a thought to see what reactions may be towards this idea...[addsig]

Ill say one thing, My buddy had a grille guard and it saved his Jeep from being totaled.

Some lady ran a red light and he slanned her with the fromt of his vehicle @ about 50 mph. Theres not a doubt in my mind that it would have been totaled if he hadn't had it.

Ive also seen people weld railroad rails and other things of the sort to the bumper, they work just as well.

Oh and not that I can afford one but if I get a grille guard, It will give me a place for that winch that we all dream about...[addsig]

bigblackjeep, i would love that. im thining something really simple, like just a hoop or something - nothing fancy just enough to hold up. if u have any pics of stuff u have, id love to see them, and if i can, ill try to scan up a pic of what i was thinking of. please get back to me

Reggie[addsig]

right now i have the capabilities to bend up to 2" pipe at our shop, but might be able to get bigger bent elsewhere- its not that big, but we will prolly be goin out to the shop to try and get some things started-

If you are on IM- JLAudiofan3 is me and we can talk a little faster than one question/one answer at a time
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Feel free to let me know of any ideas you have and I can tell you if that would be possible for us to do- just gettin our shop started and don't have everything quite yet, but just about anything we can have done somewhere else and would be able to incorporate it into our/your design.[addsig]

sounds great, ill look for you when i get home

Reggie[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> Hey, do you guys know of any place that dips things into chrome? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> Ask custom paint places near where you live, or ask some classic hot rodders[addsig]

The main thing that I would want in a grillguard is a large hoop that would protect my hood and clip (not to mention radiator) in case of a rollover...of many of the rolled jeeps (off road) I have seen...that is where the most damage often occurs. I have thought of just making a new bumper out of some 10" well casing pipe (very thick) and then welding a hoop on top out of some smaller pipe....although a section of railroad track sounds like it would be cool as well.[addsig]

I don't know how to weld at all but I just got done building new bumpers for my YJ. It is nice to have a friend that can weld!!! Hehe, we are going to start on a brush guard when I get some money. The bumpers we made are awesome and definitly functunal. We welded in D-rings and tested them on a concrete slab-we won. Plus, I have a hitch now. I am learning to weld in two weeks. The only problem is that the shop teacher cant weld worth a sh** , I think I will just have my friend teach me. The moral of the story is that if u do it yourself u dont have to spend 500 bucks!

Vavs[addsig]

If you don't know how to weld, i would suggest trying to use a stick(arc) welder first, this way, it will only let you appreciate how easy a MIG welder is to use!!!![addsig]

Back