Gross! Antifreeze smell!!!

Joopin

Super Moderator

I was driving on the highway yesterday, going about 75... and all of the sudden i smelled antifreeze... I then turned on the heater and an antifreeze smelling cloud came out of the dashboard vents... it fogged up my whole windshield! I pulled over an looked under the hood... nothing was leaking and no smoke from the engine at all... I then started on my not-so-merry way and I just kept the window open with the defroster on full blast... the smell and smoke eventually went away and everything was normal... today it happend again as soon as i started the jeep! The heater wasn't even on and the smoke was slowly rising out of the dash vents... So... I just opened the window and went home, turned off the jeep... still smoke coming from the vents... nowhere else though!! Has anyone experianced this before? Help!! Thanks... :-x [addsig]

Sounds like a heater core or lines going into the heater core. [addsig]

Well I guess the heater core must be inclosed otherwise it would be leaking onto my floor... I had a leaky core in my 67 mustang... leaked all over the place. Ok now it's time to go buy a chiltons book... Thanks for the help...[addsig]

the core is somewhat enclosed, I suppose if you had a pinhole leak, that would be the result. not too difficult to swap, did a blower a few weeks ago and brought the heater box into the house to warm up (me :)) and give it a good cleaning. if you do pull it, spray the 4 nuts on the firewall sometime in advance to loosen them up as I snapped 2 of them removing 'em. one of them is under the battery box on my '95[addsig]

Check under your carpet and you'll see the leak, I hada heater core go on my IROC and had to replace the carpeting. What a mess.................Bullet[addsig]

It's definitly the heater core most are a pain to replace. You probably have antifreeze on the passenger side floor. You wouldn't notice it until you smell it and check with your hand. Jay from Jersey[addsig]

A personal word of thanks to rayovac for the help in getting my pics set up so i could be cool like him. He is my on line photo guru! Tug :-D [addsig]

I drove it again today... I started her up, drove for about 5 min. then the antifreeze smoke started comin out again... So I just blasted the defrost and opened the windows... after a while the smell and the smoke went away and I closed the windows but kept on the defrost. All seemed normal... I drove for about an hour (to a jeep junkyard) got my stuff and left about 1.5 hours there. I hopped in the jeep agian and drove all the way home with it normal. Once I was close to home I turned off the defrost and as soon as I did that the smell came back... So as long as i have the defrost on it seems fine. Which I would think that it would be the opposite... I'll check the heater core tomorrow or monday.[addsig]

Back