Hardtop Color Change/Painting

4wheels

Has anyone recently changed the color of a hardtop? If so, I'd appreciate all the advice and instruction I can get. Please realize that I'm a mom, not very handy but willing to learn, and my teenage son is very motivated as well . He recently got a white jeep with light tan/biege hardtop and interior and doesn't like the combination much. We thought he could get a fairly cheap paint job and now realize the cost is quite high. So, we'd appreciate your replies. Looking forward to a BLACK hardtop and, if possible, a black dash as well.

Thanks.
Millie [addsig]

In order to change the color ( and have it look professional) you should first lightly sand the entier top..should use prolly 120 grit and maybe 80 grit over the rough spots. dont sand to the point of bare fiberglass,,just rough up the surface. Prime the top with 2 coats of primer ( allowes new paint to adhere to the surface MUCH BETTER... then just use a paint brush and some black tremclad ( very cheap stuff) or any other type of durable paint.....finish it off with a coat or 2 of sealent.... this will definitly increase the lif span of your top... :-D :-D [addsig]

Make sure you get some oil and grease remover to wipe all of it with. I tryed to paint part of my dash without it and all the paint did was bead off. I guess it all the years of using armorall. I paint for a living and I've learned that you can't cheap out on paint, there is a reason for the price difference.[addsig]

Go to the yellow pages and fine an automotive paint store in your area. Go in person tell them what you told us and most of the shop people will bend over backwards to help you out. They can advise you as to what is the best do it your self supplies to use for the best results. Some even rent presure sprayers to give you a better job. Thanks for joining in the fun here a jeepz.com. Good folk here and well help anyway they can. Tug[addsig]

Find an autoparts store that does automotive paint mixing. My shop around here had a paint code for jeep hardtops and mixed an exact match for my paint. If you plan on doing any off roading then I would put on an extra layer or two so the gel coat of the fiber glass top doesn't show through when it gets scratched.[addsig]

I've got an '89 YJ. It is in really good shape. However, I have finally stopped spending big bucks on it. It's just not worth it! I wanted to change my hardtop color two years ago. I had (on hand) a can of paint which needed no primer (lots of that stuff out there, e.g. Tremclad). I think this paint had an acrylic in it, it's reallyyyyy shiny! Anyway, I washed it with detergent, and when it dried I applied it with a paint roller and sponge brush. The result? It looks perfect! Everybody comments on it. This is two years later, in Newfoundland weather, and it still looks brand new! It is not hard to paint, and it's a bit rough anyway, so why bother to put it in a paint shop? If it peels off, I'll paint it again, but it looks like a factory job.

edited by: MrWant, Mar 02, 2003 - 05:49 PM[addsig]

My top was camel color and I just sanded it and used good ol Krylon. Check it out at photos.yahoo.com/baddjeep2002[addsig]

These may or may not be obvious suggestions.....

1. do NOT use basic "masking tape" to tape off the windows on the hard top. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get that blue painters tape. It cost more but paint does not bleed through it.

2. When doing the dash, take it out of the Jeep, and all the dials out too. I know some people who have tried to get around doing that and have regretted it.

3. Wash everything really well before you start painting.

4. Lots of light layers of paint. Do not try to cover the top in the first coat of paint. All the paint will do, is run and look horrible.

5. Find a really cool design to paint onto the top.

I hope these are helpfull and good suggestions.[addsig]

It is easy. Just wash it, take a wire brush and scrub it. Buy a quart of semi-gloss enamel latex paint at the hardware store. Buy a 4" roller and a 1 1/2 inch brush. Use some newspaper and tape so you dont get any on the body. Roll on the paint. Use the brush around the corners, windows and edges. It looks great. The roller makes it a little rough and it looks like it is suppose to, like it is a canvas top. It only costs about $13 to do this job, and if you don't like the color you can change it in an hour. Be sure to keep what is left in the can for touch ups when you scratch it off road. There is no need to take the top to a professional paint shop. I have painted several hard tops this way & no one can tell that it wqsn't professionally done.[addsig]

Millie,
I would strongly suggest having a body shop do the paint work. There is an old saying that goes something like "The sadness of a bad job lasts far longer than the happiness over saving a few bucks".

Don't use a roller, don't use Krylon or any other spray bomb paint, especially if you want black. Spray bombs, latex and other cheapo methods will last maybe a year or so before they start fading, peeling, sun-bleaching etc and there is a very good chance that it will look terrible right from day 1.

Take it to a shop and have them use a flattened single stage urethane topcoat. They will scuff sand the old finish with a scotchbrite pad (you can't sand with regular sandpaper unless you wan't to lose the texture of the top), then they will prime with one coat of epoxy mixed as a sealer and then 2-3 coats of flattened, single stage urethane paint.

I've done many hardtops and I charge around $300-$400 provided there is no damage to the fiberglass that needs repairing. For that money, my customer gets a top quality job that will look good for 10+ years. If you shop around a bit, I'm sure you will find a shop locally who will do the same job for around the same moderate price. I hope this helps.[addsig]

i received a hard top with some fiberglass damage in rear corners. repaired and i am not abody man so it didnt come out like glass or perfectly straight. i roughed it up with sandpaper, and hit autozone. they have a spray on bed liner for truck beds in black and i used that . it came out pisser and reacts fine to sunlight . i already scraped it on low branches but touch up was no problem. as far as your dash pad autozone has vinyl spray paint that my hot rod buddies use to change their interior colrs on inside door panels and it works really well also sticks better than regular paint, kind of seeps into the pores of the material.

edited by: jeepster, Mar 05, 2003 - 01:21 AM[addsig]

Everybody has got you the right advice as far as I know, but one thing that I can say is take your time and do it right the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D [addsig]

THANK YOU all so much, I really appreciate all of the information and advice. While we wait for spring to finally arrive, we'll be assessing all of our options. I'll be sure to post back here when the projects are done. Thanks again.

To Judge09: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "hooking up" your Jeep; but if you want her to be a part of your Jeep experience - let her know! At the very least it will open up some dialogue and who knows what may follow. :cool: [addsig]

Back