My hardtop needs a paintjob!
and my questions are:
is this something I can do by myself?
what kind of paint?
spray or roll?

thanks/
jens in Sweden -86cj7

Yes, do it yourself, but...
use the best automotive type spray paint you can afford, like Sikkens, Glasurit, PPG or HOK, etc. I suggest using a flex additive in the color and/or clear coat. This will add impact resistance to the finish.
Spray is the way to go, but can be a little involved and expensive unless you have automotive spray experience and equipment.
Aerosol products are available, they just don't seem to hold up for very long. For a project the size of a hardtop, I don't think the final finish will be what you want, but that is up to you.
If you are willing, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't do this your self.
let me know if you need more detailed info on this...
Chris

send me some round trip tickets, and not only will i paint the top, ill paint the whole jeep,and ill even paint your house, inside&out.[how do you like it so far?]

[This message has been edited by willys (edited May 15, 2001).]

My teenage son just purchased a 94' Jeep Wrangler and he'd like to change the color of the hardtop, currently light tan/biege to black. We would very much appreciate any additional information that could help us achieve great results. Can the front dash also be painted? If so, can we use the same paint used for the hardtop?

Thanks,
Millie[addsig]

Stay away from the aresol spray paint (cans) when painting your hard top..try to go with some kind of brushable paint. Thin it down with paint thinner if desired...multipal THIN layers are better than one thick one. Brush strokes tend not to be as visable with thinner coats.....when i did my Hard top i used black tremclad rust paint..thinned up a bit... looked preety good at first. Howver i diod not put a sealant on it and weathering is startin to show after 5-6 months... hope this helps....chris[addsig]

funny, I was thinking of painting my jeep & hardtop... I have a black top... wanted to go sand colored. I hope the black is for astethics, because it gets real hot in the summer & every scratch shows...
-JP[addsig]

I just repainted my hardtop back in October. I went to my local autoparts store (Lordco) and they mixed paint for me. They actually had a paint code for jeep hardtops which they mixed up and put into aerosol spray cans for me. First I lightly sanded the whole top, masked off the windows, took off all rubber seals, two coats of primer and two coats of black paint. I even changed the ugly white inside color to a dary grey. So far, so good, it still looks new. One of my friends had his top professionally painted for $300 and you can't tell the difference between mine and his.[addsig]

Back