Headers

Big Dan

I've got a 78 CJ5, in pretty good shape. It has a 360 and all the fixins. Has a 4" body lift, and running 33x12.5 thornburgs. But headers are just now starting to burn through. Don't want to buy cheap new set that I'll be replacing in a couple years. Can't really, and don't want to go back to exhaust manifolds. The motor came out of a ? 72-75 cherokee, so I'll have to do some homework on which headers and mufflers to get that fit. Any advice on headers that will last.

the ceramic coated headers. More expensive but like you said, they last way longer. they almost look chrome plated.

I think around 300-400. Not positive on that though, I havent used them but want to, they were more than I wanted to spend. For what fits, they will be listed as AMC 304 thru 401 v-8's, Its the same block.

Last edited:

Years ago I bought a '77 with the 304 and it was equipped with Hooker headers, as I recall there was adequate room in the tube bend to get a socket on all the spark plugs. Which is way more than I say for what's on Black Betty.

if you can pick up stainless tube headers, go for it.. I used to make them for harleys, and you CAN'T wear them out..

Back