Help Anyone?

CrashNBurn

Hey Everyone, I'm relatively new to the Offroading scene and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can answer for me. Well I have an 88 YJ with a 258ci Dana 30 in front and Dana 35 in rear with 3:07:1 gear ratio which are both open, NP231 T-Case and 31 inch Hankook's. Most of my wheeling with probably consist of trail riding and hitting some good size mud holes. I was wondering what upgrades would be best for that type of wheeling? I was thinking a better set of gears something around 4.10:1 with a locker, not sure what would be better front or rear locker, I was thinking rear but I would really appreciate any advice that you might have for me. Thanks Very Much Everyone!

This should have been posted in the tech forums. You'll get better responses there. Ask a moderator, they can move it for you.;)

For the easiest swaps, try to find a front axle from a 2.5L 5spd YJ, it'll be 4.10 gears. Then find a rear 8.8 from a '95+ Ford Explorer with 4.10 gears (got my last one for $100 at the junkyard). They can be found with a limited slip diff which sounds right up your alley. The Exploder axle has the same lug pattern as the jeep, similar width, and disc brakes. It is a LOT stronger than a D35 and even a D44.

TJ shafts in the front and a lunch box locker/ lock right type.

Other than that, I would leave it alone. I would plan on doing something about the carb on there before you invest too much $$ into axles.

When I bought my YJ, it had to have fuel-injection!

Last week, I rode some trails with a carberated rig. He had some problems. All of us knew right away he had a carberator!

Back