help....oil in my air filter

jeeepers

Has anyone had this trouble w/ their jeep. I went to have my oil changed the other day and the guy that changed it told me to have my jeep checked out b/c there was a lot of oil in my air filter......ugh! I just spent $1800.00 last week having the transmission rebuilt so this was not the best news I have heard. Any ideas what I can do? So far w/ the reserach I've done I know that I don't have a pcv valve but a ccv something-another. I have a 95 jeep grand cherokee inline 6 cyl.
I would gladly!! appreciate any advice or help on this one.
Thanks,
Jeeepers

I think your question might have already been answered? What you need to try first is make sure both the PCV hose (big one at front of valve cover) and CCV hose (at back of valve cover) are not plugged up. While you're at it, you might want to clean out all the vacuum lines under the hood. :D

-Nick :!:

im back, still gathering parts

Sorry to butt in, but do the pcv and ccv hoses pop right off?, or do you have to take off the valve cover to unclog them. I need to clean mine because I'm trying to get rid of an annoying whistle that just wont seem to go away. I think it might be a whistling grommet. Thanks.Rob

Missing the thing for the watchamacallit

You're not butting in :mrgreen:.

Yes, the PCV and CCV hoses both pop out. The PCV might be a little hard to get out because the rubber grommet grips tight.

The whistling is probably just a vacuum leak, could be from any of the hoses. Also, some power brake boosters will whistle as they vent vacuum, its a normal function of the unit.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

Nick...while your in the midst of sharing your knowledge....does the grommet pop out of the valve cover or do you have to take the valve cover off to remove the grommet to clean it or replace it.....the hose comes off easy but the grommet does not seem to be as easy??and I don't want to break it.XJNick,

I'm guessing your talking about the CCV (rear) grommet? I've never had to replace that grommet, just the hose. I'm pretty sure it can be removed without removing the valve cover.

Where Are Your Pictures'

After cleaning everything out really good and REPLACING your air filter if it continues to blow oil into the airbox you have something else to worry about.
That would be called blow-by. Pretty common for the 4.0L engine after 100k miles. This could be from a couple of things. Bad rings causing the oil preasure in the block to get way to high and the preasure going the only place it can or bad valve seats and sleaves. Doing pretty much the same thing.
Do you have a guage for your oil preasure or an idiot light? Have you done a compresion test on each cylinder?

A tip on cleaning out the vacume lines. Get a can of cheap carburator cleaner and put the little hose on it. stick that hose in the vacume line with it totally off the motor/intake/sensor/bla bla bla. The preasure will clean it out really well and it will dry up pretty quick so you can install it again without getting moisture in the system. You really don't need to take that rear gromet off to blow that line out.
Once you get the line cleaned out and back on start it up and spray the cleaner around each fitting that you messed with. If the idle changes when you spray a fitting you don't have a good seal and you need to check it.
Hope this helps.

Curt

Well this will be a easy fix for you I just fixed mine. Got order new CCV vacuum hose comming off the intake manifold I bet one of yours has a clog or is not sealing good I ordered a new hose for mine and it fixed the problem / and yes it is blowback.

P.S. I also have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 144,000 with the same transmission / how many miles did you get out of yours?

Be careful pulling that CCV out of the valve cover. It fits tight and can get brittle with age. I broke my buddy's when helping him, and that cheap little plastic piece that probably costs 25 cents to make costs 10 or 12 bucks, because you can only get it at the dealer.

Back