Help! Replacing Transmission Fluid.

ghostrider0076

hey everyone,

Can one of you give me some instructions on how to drain and refill my manual transmission fluid? I am starting to get some grinding when shifting between 2nd and 3rd and want to refill it with Pennziol Synchromesh because I heard this may help the problem. I have found the transmission fill plug, but is there another hole to drain the fluid out of? Will I need exatcly 4 quarts of Synchromesh? Hope this works because I just replaced the clutch and transmission a year ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Eric

The drain plug looks the same as the fill, it's in the bottom of the transmission, dead center left to right, and towards the rear.

Make sure you have the right fill plug, it's high up on the pass. side near the reverse switch and a pain to get to.

How many miles do you have and which transmission?

Thanks, I think I've found'em. I assume the reverse switch is the one with the wire going to it. There are two other bolts up there with heads on them and another without a head, which I assume is the fill plug. The transmission probably has about 8,000-10,000 miles and it is an ax-5 transmission (I have the 2.5L :x )

Do you think the syncromesh is a good idea? The guy who put my transmission in was kind of a jerk and I'm sure he prolly just put whatever transmission fluid in that was handy.

Thanks for the help, this is going to be my big project for tomorrow afternoon. :D

Eric

COuldnt get the fill plug of so I took it to Quikstop and they put in the Syncromesh for me. I watched as they did this and what struck me as odd was that the guy putting my fluid in, put it in a plug on the driver side of the transmission. :shock: He said there was a fill plug on both sides. When I got home I looked at the plug he put the fluid in and it looked like the other fill plug on the other side, but it had a hex-head on it. Am I just being paranoid, or is there 2 different fill plugs? BTW, second is still grinding.... :cry:

Eric

Hmm.. I've been thinking about doing the same myself.

Can somebody snap some pix of the drain and fill plugs?

there is a torx bolt on the driver side but that says DO NOT REMOVE on it. I just used the one on the passenger side by the reverse switch.

Back