Help with a stupid question.

dropseys

:oops: I have a 1996 Cherokee, and I have a stupid question. I don't know how to opearte the 4wd system, and the instrruction manual is not in my vehicle. What do i do to shift into 4wd? I want to goo out to the beach, but not knowing what i'm doing has prevented me from going. Please don't laugh at me too hard, but i don't want to drop my transmission or damage anything else. Thanks for your time and halp.

if you have command trac, thats what i have and i have a 96 cherokee too, the manual says -

"to engage 4 hi, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed" an orange indicator light that says "part time" will light up on the left part of the dash. to get it back into 2H when you dont need 4WD anymore just reverse the directions.

Do you have to be at a stop to shift into 4wheel in older jeeps? If i'm moving in my 89 wrangler and shift into 4wheel it grinds.

don't laugh at me too hard
I don't think anyone's laughin' (HA!HA!HA!HA!).....just kiddin' - no one's laughin'. We all started somewhere and your questions are better answered here than anyplace else I've found. Welcome to the club!!!!

p.s. - there's no such thing as stupid questions.

You can just shift the lever to 4WD high while driving, but lay off the gas so you're coasting a bit . In other words don't shift it while accelerating. Not in the manual - just my 2 cents.

Also, NEVER shift into or out of 4WD low unless stopped completely.

Lube any greaseable fittings after hitting the beach. It takes 15 minutes and is cheap enough to buy a grease gun and a couple of tubes of grease. Sand can play hell on joints when it gets in the grease.

Get yourself a Chiltons manual. It has alot of the info you'll find in the manual about maintenance and stuff.

Only thing Jeepmaster forgot to mention is always back up about 2 ft to disengauge your front diff after shifting back to 2 wheel drive there known to stick at times causing drag if left engauged

if you dont know how the 4 wheel drive works you should have another freind with another jeep go with you incase you bury yourself in sand Ive seen so many beginners buried when I live on east coast not knowing how to drive in sand tires are another factor

Back