Herculining the tub

MerkL

RE: yj rear axle advice

I've taken out everything from the inside of my YJ and am planning on giving it a good cleaning sometime during this next week to get ready to put in the herculiner on Saturday. I have a few questions, if it's not as thick as I would like it, could I apply a second coat to get it to the desired thickness? Also, how many colors does it come in? I know I've seen gray and black before, but what about tan? Thanks for the help guys.

I am part owner in a line-x installation facility . My product is so much better than that do it yourself stuff. plus i guarantee it forever. it looks awesome, you'd like it alot more than anything else. let me know if your interested.

Here are some progress pics

Herculiner is a LOT cheaper, but it lives up to that name of being CHEAP!
I put it on during summer, and I prepped it really well. It is starting to come up in some spots.

Hey, you get what you pay for. Mine is guaranteed forever, not just the summer. and it looks a hell of alot better too.

RE: Yokohama tires

Yes. It's really nice if the guy spraying it knows what he's doing. It's the same as anytime you let somebody else work on your Jeep: The best parts in the world can't make up for a crappy installer. The Line-X IS good stuff though, and the local Line-X dealer is about $125 cheaper than the local Rhino liner guy to do a Jeep tub.

RE: need space for tires, what

Junkpile said:
Yes. It's really nice if the guy spraying it knows what he's doing. It's the same as anytime you let somebody else work on your Jeep: The best parts in the world can't make up for a crappy installer.

Somebody else work on my Jeep..... I have never heard of that...... :lol:
I totally agree with you on what you said about, "The best parts in the world can't make up for a crappy installer." I just wish the professional sprays weren't so much $$$. I would have done it in a heartbeat.

RE: Here are some progress pics

My herculiner has been running strong for almost three years. Depends on how you put it on.

I did a hell of a lot of prepping and put it on just like you are supposed to. It came up in spots right behind the driver seat where water sits.

My friend's YJ with Hurculiner has held up pretty good for several years with the cheap stuff on there. The lineX looks thicker and nicer, but the cheap stuff will stay on if properly applied - at least his has.

RE: Re: Window shopping with Mom...

If you plan on hauling anything or throwing sharp things into the back of the Jeep, it will cut into the liner. But hell, same thing goes for Line X or Rhino Liner. My truck at work is Line X'd and the liner is already coming off just from putting pallets into the back.

RE: Spend a little time serving others on Christmas?

Then it wasn't prepped properly. When we do a truck(or anything for that matter) We tape everything off so no overspray gets anywhere then sand everything completely with 80 grit sandpaper on a DA, blow it all out and wipe it twice with denatured alcohol, then spray. I've installed liners for ironworkers and masons. The only liner i've had to fix is one that a guy ran a forklift into while loading a pallet. And i mean Ran a forklift into, it gouged the steel.

83mudjeep--what do you think about painting over the Line-X? Whenever I get to a point where I can get the rest of the body work done on the CJ, it will be time to paint. I need to know if I can paint over it without any major chipping concerns, because if I can I want to go that route with this one. If so, I need to plan a trip to the liner shop before I start painting.

What paint would you recommend? Any special additives? I'm planning on using Dupont Polyurethane.

I havent found any good way to paint over line-x. I would get all your paint work done first and give it at least 1 month before you take it to get sprayed in line-x or whatever bedliner you choose. My shop is one of the few shops that does colors. our typical colors are Black, Red, Grey, Green, and Brown. If your hoping for a perfect colormatch don't get your hopes up too high. In my opinion i think it looks the best in Black, it offsets and compliments the rest of the jeep.

Back