hi lift that works?

Greencuke

ok so ive had a hi lift for years, but never used it cause i couldnt get it to work. spending some time and a can of spray lube tonight i got it so it'll click up, or drop down. i still cant figure how to get it to click down. well, i can click it down but i have to use a screwdriver to pull the top pin out. my roomate says thats how his brother uses his, but i have to think its not made to need a screwdriver. anyone have personal expericence making this work?
reggie

Take it apart and clean it well, then lube it up, it should work fine (assuming you are using the up/down engage/disengage lever on the right hand side near top). If its still not working, they sell spring and pin sets for rebuilding it.

A couple other things important to note: it will only ratchet down if it is bearing weight (and then only if it is lubricated), once the weight is gone it will fall to the base like a slide hammer (watch those toes), when lowering keep a good grip on the handle (don't looney toon yourself, watch your chin on the upswing).

If its gunky/muddy you may have to help the sliding pins into the holes with your hand when raising or lowering.

on the side part there's alittle lever, push it down (that's the quick release). You should hear a click. look closely if you can't see it it's on the side mounted to the part that comes up. i'll take a pic of my jack later if you still can't find it. ;) you push that button down and the jack drops that part that moves up and down. (watch your feet as they might get smashed)

Greencuke said:
ok so ive had a hi lift for years, but never used it cause i couldnt get it to work. spending some time and a can of spray lube tonight i got it so it'll click up, or drop down. i still cant figure how to get it to click down. well, i can click it down but i have to use a screwdriver to pull the top pin out. my roomate says thats how his brother uses his, but i have to think its not made to need a screwdriver. anyone have personal expericence making this work?
reggie

If your concerned, they sell rebuilt kits for them.

Yeah they work great when they work. Mine was mounted on the rear of my TJ..everytime I used it I had to SOAK it in wd40 or some type of oil. Just keep somthing with you to lube it up.

I remeber i went wheeling with graewulf way back when..If i remeber he stored it in some fancy case in the jeep and it worked perfect.

Its all about keeping them dirt free and/or well oiled..if ya got all that should work smooth

"Its all about keeping them dirt free and/or well oiled..if ya got all that should work smooth"

Hummm yeah.... I abuse mine, and you know i just can't kill it ;)

I run over it in mud, used it all the time in mud. Abused it in sand- left it mounted to my truck during rainny season. and still everytime I use it it works perfect.. every now and again i do need to oil but that's about it. :-D very happy with the high lift jack ;)

mines been run over (used for lifting and then hitting the gas) bent back by being run over, on my bumper for while, then just in the back of my jeep for the past year or two and it gets rained on, dirt in it, and all it takes is a decent coat of 40 before it works flawlessely again. it still has an s shape to it though...

LGR said:
I remeber i went wheeling with graewulf way back when..If i remeber he stored it in some fancy case in the jeep and it worked perfect.

Hi-Lift Jack Guard

Like that? That's what I've got with my hi-lift. Haven't had to use it yet, but I've played with it enough to know how....the hi-lift, you pervs....keep your mind out of the gutter, boys!

Yeah, keep a firm grip on that handle when jacking it up or down. A friend's brother lost an eye (and dang near his life) several years ago working on a farm trying to lift a tractor with one when the handle slipped out of his hand. Yeah, they will lift a tractor. We used one on our Fire Rescue unit here for years, and had to lift a tractor off a farmer with it.

but if you cover it up then you lost some of the rugged look caused by the rain, rust, and dirt located between the different parts of the jack....it also doesn't look half as cool when it's covered up in a box.. even if you'll get soo much more life out of it that way.

ok, while everyone was mostly helpful, thank you for that, no one needs to use a screwdriver to get it to work? i got a can of white lithium grease that got it working this far, i guess ill just soak got dumplings out of it and see what happends. thanx fellas
reggie

smartshot said:
but if you cover it up then you lost some of the rugged look caused by the rain, rust, and dirt located between the different parts of the jack....it also doesn't look half as cool when it's covered up in a box.. even if you'll get soo much more life out of it that way.

Yeah, I suppose it looks better mall crawlin' that way.....:roll:

I like where my jack is.
That-a-way, I can ram it into the backs of Hondas and Toyotas.:purple:
Real purty like....
image-missing.png

90Xjay said:
I like where my jack is.
That-a-way, I can ram it into the backs of Hondas and Toyotas.:purple:
Real purty like....
(IMAGE WAS HERE, NOW IT'S NOT)

Do you ever get hassled by the man for having your front plate covered?

Sparky-Watts said:
Do you ever get hassled by the man for having your front plate covered?

Not yet. But I am just waiting to get asked about it.:bomb:
really, from the angle of the photo, it appears worse than it is.
At street level, you can still make it out a good deal better.

I know in a cop's eyes, its right there on the edge.

Sparky-Watts said:
Yeah, I suppose it looks better mall crawlin' that way.....:roll:

Why go to the mall when you have the internet?
Actually it just puts it outta the way; in a secure location and is easier to mount that way. So you don't need to worry when you are 4-wheeling

Yup.... thats the animal... its been in that case for 5 years now and works perfect every time i need it. I hit it with a little silicon spray once a year to keep it in top shape.

Sparky-Watts said:
Hi-Lift Jack Guard

Like that? That's what I've got with my hi-lift. Haven't had to use it yet, but I've played with it enough to know how....the hi-lift, you pervs....keep your mind out of the gutter, boys!

Yeah, keep a firm grip on that handle when jacking it up or down. A friend's brother lost an eye (and dang near his life) several years ago working on a farm trying to lift a tractor with one when the handle slipped out of his hand. Yeah, they will lift a tractor. We used one on our Fire Rescue unit here for years, and had to lift a tractor off a farmer with it.

graewulf said:
Yup.... thats the animal... its been in that case for 5 years now and works perfect every time i need it. I hit it with a little silicon spray once a year to keep it in top shape.

Yuppers, you were the one who recommended it to me!;)

Back