horn wont work

ODAX

horn wont work on our 89 yj. dont have any power at the horn button or at the horn. which relay is the horn?think it is one on the passenger side near the firewall. but there are two. which one is the horn. which fuse is the horn working wired to . i know there are better ways to express ones self better than with a horn but need it for inspection. any suggestions....odax :cool: [addsig]

Replace it with a horn from a train! Then the next time someone cuts you off you can blow your horn and they will probably load in their pants hahaha.[addsig]

just put a horn button on the dash and hot wire it to the battery. It's fast, easy, and passed MA state inspections![addsig]

just get yourself a disposable air horn like for sports games, put a little velcro on it and attach it to your steering wheel, when you need to use it, rip it off hang it out the window, and deafen the guilty party. id check your fuses, i believe there may be a horn fuse.[addsig]

i discontected mine b/c theyed go off when i touch the stearing wheel i drove some people crazy that day! :lol: :evil: [addsig]

I ripped mine off one day on the trail because it was in the way, while making a repair. I replaced it with a five horn set that plays dixie. :lol: [addsig]

where did you get it and how much i've wanted one of those there's some one in my town that plays it going down the main street :-O :evil: [addsig]

It's been a long time since I played with my horn wiring, but this might help to understand how it works and then repair.

The horn is bolted to the body, which grounds the horn unit.

The horn has a connection that goes to the 12v relay.

The relay has one wire going to the horn,
one going to 12v and a ground wire going to the steering colum.

When you press the horn button on the steering wheel, it grounds the relay, causing a connection between the 12v hot wire and the 12v wire to the horn unit, completing the circuit.

To test, have someone press the horn while you use a test light to see if there is 12v power to the horn. If there is then the horn is either not grounding or it's bad.

If there is no power to the horn unit, usually it's the groung connection inside the steering wheel.

Remove the horn cap to make sure the parts are there. You can ground out the end of the wire to see if power now runs to the horn.(You will her the clicking of the relay when the wire is grounded)(This usually means the relay is good)

If you have checked the horn and the horn button ground it could be the relay or the wires running to the relay.

Locate the relay and trace out the the wires to make sure they are properly connected, if they are then the last part is the relay itself. Find it and replace.

This is the whole system.

Or the easy way is to find a cool horn at your local parts store, follow the instructions and balst away.

edited by: MORGSTER, Feb 24, 2003 - 04:31 PM[addsig]

I've never had one in mine. I'm gettin a PA speaker for my CB so instead of honking at those little ricers that cut me off I can be very specific with my anger :lol: :evil: [addsig]

Back in the late 60's I had a airhorn from a Mac Truck on my Volkswagen. Getting attention wasn't a problem. but, everytime I hit the horn, it used so much vacuum, my car cut out.
Those were the days :-D [addsig]

IS there a fuse anywhere in the horn circuit on a 89 Wrangler? Where is the horn relay? The Haynes book says I have a Elctronic Control Unit near the battery my 89 Wrangler doesn't have a ECU. I have two relays near the fuse box by the steeering column. One is white and the other is black. Anyone know which may be the horn relay?

Back