how complicated a swap is this?

coolmemin

I was wondering how complicated it would be to swap a Jeep 4.0L engine into a 4cyl TJ? Also, any of you know of the laws in California as far as swapping engines go? I heard that the engine must be newer than your car or it isn't allowed. thanks in advance:)[addsig]

Don't know wish I did know so I could help
you but anyways welcome to the board and
someone wil be along shortly to help you I am
sure............ :-D [addsig]

Check with your local DOT or what ever Calif. call the car cops oput there. As for the swap I do not see it being to big of a deal. But then again I am not a wrench. Good luck though and welcome. tug
[addsig]

Waste of time and money to swap in an engine that came stock in so many Jeeps, be better and cheaper to trade up. You have to cut off your stock engine mount perches and weld on new ones for starters, not to mention having to replace your transmission and transfer case as well.

Be better off to put in a V6 or V8 like the 4.3L Vortec or GM 350 if you're hellbent on doing a swap. Whatever route you choose, get the donor transmission and transfer case with the engine, don't mess around with adapters.[addsig]

the thing is that i bought my TJ at a salvage yard for $2800 with no frame damage and I got the body fixed for about $350, I couldn't have afforded a jeep otherwise... thats why i don't just trade it for a 6 cyl. Since I can get engines for cheap here in Mexico from a buddy's junkyard the expensive part would be the adapters and stuff thats why I'm looking for easy swaps. I appreciate all your inputs so if you know of any other options I would appreciate it :)[addsig]

Two other engin swaps that I have seen that work great, The 3.8 v6 out of F-body chevy's and the straight 6 out of 86-present ford e350 vans (tons of torque)

But if the swap is not needed, sounds like yours is, bon't do it. I agree with BH 100%

Johnny[addsig]

Our emmissions laws here in Vancouver, Canada are pretty much the same as California if not the same. I have friends in California and from what I've been told is that if you swap a 4.0L into a jeep that was made for a 4 cylinder, it must pass emmissions for the engine that it came stock with. You'd have to make your 4.0L burn as clean as the 4 cylinder. Otherwise you might be able to get special insurance for a custom vehicle which will probably cost you more.[addsig]

you'll end up spending about $1,000-1,500 less doing a 4.0 swap then doing a 350 swap, and anybody can find a jeep with a 4.0, but jeeps with 350's are rare, i did my whole swap, engine transmission, everything for $5,500...if you ask me, its WELL worth the extra cash, just ran it down at the track, my e.t. was 14.35 in the quarter, with a 60 ft time on par with a corvette!!![addsig]

The only law I know of about swapping engines in California is that the engine must be the same year of the car or newer and must pass smog. [addsig]

in MD, you're allowed to swap engines, but you cant add any more cylindars then the manufacturer puts in them, so no more then 6, but they only do inspections upon purchase of a vehicle, and there's no emmissions testing except at the initial inspection...but in most states they offer "street rod" tags, that exempt you from all inspection/emmision laws they just limit your mileage to under 5,000 a year...my jeep would fail emmisions miserably, headers, duals, and no cat on a mid 70's 350 haha.[addsig]

xtremejeep where in MD are you? I'm in bethesda[addsig]

When I was looking into some engine mods in CA I had to see a REFEREE. I found them online under a smog search. The referee was an instructor at a local community college and he knew all the rules. He did say the engine must be newer then the truck. Any smog shop would probably know a number to call. [addsig]

A catalitick (spelling) converter is the thing
between the headers and the muffler....... :-O [addsig]

I did that swap on my 87 yj and it was not fun!!! The motor mounts have to be moved, the wire harness has to be changed Completely from front to back, you'll need different driveshafts, etc, etc...
Sorry for the bad news but hate to see you get into something you'd regret. Listen carefully to what these guys say they know what they are talking about.[addsig]

the thing is that i bought my TJ at a salvage yard for $2800 with no frame damage and I got the body fixed for about $350, I couldn't have afforded a jeep otherwise... thats why i don't just trade it for a 6 cyl. Since I can get engines for cheap here in Mexico from a buddy's junkyard the expensive part would be the adapters and stuff thats why I'm looking for easy swaps. I appreciate all your inputs so if you know of any other options I would appreciate it :)

if you put the thing together for $3150, you can sell it for a great profit, and afford to buy a TJ with a 6 cylinder! especially if you have a clean title for it...[addsig]

Back