How Many Here Have One Of These...........

Robrt-Stephens

...........and can you post pics of such. Also, what do you do with it and what mods have you done.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

I use mine for camping and hauling gear and other stowage plus hauling my 33 x 10.50 x 15 Boggers for running across the Sonora and Coronado deserts of Mexico when running south. I haul wood and other gear and it is a very handy rig. The lift was my idea by doing a SOA. It took all of 4 hours. So darn fun.

More data here:

http://behold-the-rage.com/jeep_page21.html

I'm editing this since at times I forget to post the data too. I'm lame. This is a 1952 U. S. Army Jeep Trailer, 14 ton rating. built by National Motor Coach Industries, Ltd. of Canada. it was part of a 300 trailer lot that my friend in Columbia Falls, Mt who owns Columbia Falls Army and Navy Store, ordered in 1995 and I picked it from then from him.

I had always wanted one of these and wanted to lift it and have it match VEX.

It resembles a trailer my uncle towed behind his FJ40. Its tires/wheels were interchangeable with the cruiser's, so if he got multiple flats on the trail (actually did happen) he wouldn't be stranded. It also freed up alot of passenger space on camping trips. Don't have a pic though...sad to say he sold it with his cruiser.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Front hitch

That's pretty handy! I've been keeping an eye out for a good trailer to pull behind the YJ, since my POS GMC is on the DL. I like the SOA, too...brings it back up level with the body of your Jeep!

I like, I too have been looking for a light, durable trailor to pull off road.

we used to have a few of these at work I'm not sure what happened to them I think they got auctioned off

laneiac said:
Thats a very cool trailer. Does it have an ARB in it?? Just joking 8)

No, I run only ARBs in VEX and Detroits in the trailer.....

If many here are intrested I know that Gary Purdy at the Army-Navy store mentiond at the top has a bunch of these he gets, both the M151 style (angular fenders) and the MB syle like mine (round fenders). They run from $300 to $700 depending on condition.

I he wasnt in Montana I would be pretty interested in picking one up...

laneiac said:

Me too. Hey, we otta get a list of everyone that wants one, have ol' Tug drive up there and pick up a slew of them, and deliver them across the country on his way back!

RE: Re: RE: Re: Help my buddy win the Miss USA pageant!

Sparky-Watts said:
laneiac said:

Me too. Hey, we otta get a list of everyone that wants one, have ol' Tug drive up there and pick up a slew of them, and deliver them across the country on his way back!

Of course, you all could come here to the ranch, stay with you and yours, pick up your trailers, Jeep for a week and go home.

Or, our Jeeps can pull 3-4 of those trailers at a time, like the Army used to do, with no problem. Round up who wants one and send a few Jeeps and pay the delivery.

I do know there has to be outlets all over the country for these things as they are still so popualr with us jeep folks.

RE: finished my lift

I normally pull TJ's on the trail. But never trailers.

Re: RE: Stuck line truck

Robrt-Stephens said:
Or, our Jeeps can pull 3-4 of those trailers at a time, like the Army used to do, with no problem. Round up who wants one and send a few Jeeps and pay the delivery.

Hehe, I would probably have to get one too if that happened :D . But, that would be a little illegal in most areas....pulling 3-4 small trailers like that.

That's such a good price too :shock: :shock:

A guy that owns a local 4x4 shop in town here has one that is really done nice. SOA, 35's, 10gallon freshwater tank (w/battery operated pump) mounted between the frame rails, powdercoated frame, duralinered the bed and painted the body to match his FJ40.

One other cool thing about those is if you get them sealed up real well they will float. Of course that would only come in handy if it wasn't lifted as high as your tow vehicle and you did a deep water crossing.

New (used) axles, what maintenance should I do?

Ooooh, a towable boat trailer.....

Wrangles, I am in for a trailer whenever you are. But cruising up to Montana would be kinda fun too....

They don't have tailgates, so if you plugged the drain holes you could fill it up with water for a bath or ice it down with some cold adult beverages.

laneiac said:
Ooooh, a towable boat trailer.....

Wrangles, I am in for a trailer whenever you are. But cruising up to Montana would be kinda fun too....

hehe, I'd love to go with you if you were going to get one, but I would probably wait until I have a jeep to match it before I bought one for myself :D ....and who knows how long that will be :cry:

RE: Want to buy a New Liberty.......what are your thoughts?

redrooster said:
They don't have tailgates, so if you plugged the drain holes you could fill it up with water for a bath or ice it down with some cold adult beverages.

I love this post above. So funny. Well, actually, I've backed VEX and the trailer down into the Stillwater River in the summer, so the kids on the ranch that borders us can come over and float in the trailer tub (I made rubber plugs for the two drain holes) and then the kids float in it as the river moves it around in the current. I leave the whole works there for the day and it is fun.

Also, in the Coronado Desert west of Tampico in Mexico in 1996 I had this trailer with me down there. In Tomilla, a small town on the southern side after getting across the desert, it was 'Feista Day', Sunday, and the braceros and the vaqueros were in town. I had parked at a Cantina and proceeded to swtich back from the Boggers to my pizza cutters.

Everyone had to help. We talked (I'm bi-lingual), laughed, and soon it was a party-the essence and fun of Mexico. I and a bunch of others did what you said above and got bags of ice and raw ice they sell for produce vendors and filled the trailer, with the tires and all in inside too. Next came the beer, from them, me, and others. I wish I had had a digital camera then but it was so much fun.

So, yes, those Army trailers have multiple usage for sure...... especially the essentials.....javascript:emoticon(':D')

Wish I would of had this info a year ago. I gave up on finding one and drove to texas an purchased a knock-off trailer. But you still kindled the fire.... I want one!!!

life_amateur said:
Wish I would of had this info a year ago. I gave up on finding one and drove to texas an purchased a knock-off trailer. But you still kindled the fire.... I want one!!!

Reckon we could get us a train of trailers and drag'em back to Kansas!

BTW, I'll be out in your neck of the woods the weekend of the 23rd for our families annual campout on the farm just south of LaCygne.

Back