How to figure out your lift

taralynn

The jeep I bought came already lifted yet the previous owner can't/doesn't remember the lift that was put into the jeep. I am ordering nerd bars to make it easier to get in and out of (I'm 5'1). Got to thinking since I have had a couple people ask about the height of the lift…how do I find that out if the previous owner doesn't remember or can't remember?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Start by letting us know what model and year Jeep you have, as well as the tire size. Pics always help as well. Most of us can generally get close on lift amount based solely on experience and sight.

2.5" lift would be my guess as well. If you get some time, try to post a pic with a straight on side view. That will help some, but I think it is a 2.5 lift

Is a 2.5 lift pretty standard or can I go higher? I don't plan on doing any rock crawling anytime soon but am wondering if I can lift it more for no other reason other than I can :)

And I will add a pic of it straight on…thanks for the help! And your Cincinnati Reds beat my Brewers yesterday :(

Here is a pic of the rear passenger tire. Tires are 33s and the jeep is a 76 CJ-5

Attachments

• 20140502_081714.jpg
    20140502_081714.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58

This is 4" lift and 33s on a 76 cj5 parked in front of my 87 yj with 2" lift and street tires

I think J may be right. that just may be a 4" I don think you would have that much clearance between the tire and fender flare with a 2.5 and
33,s

4" is about as high as you can go without getting into a lot more modifications. You might consider a small body lift, 2" or less. Swapping to stock springs and putting the axles beneath the springs (spring over axle conversion) will net about 6" of lift.

Are there any markings stenciled on the leaf springs?

No markings on the leaf springs which is where someone else told me to look too. Based on looking at Superj's photo mine sits higher than that so Im guessing a 4 inch lift. It requires my 5'1 frame to jump up into it :) (no complaints there) Now to look for nerf bars to make it easier to get in and out. Thinking about cleaning some old logging trails on the farm I own to make some fun "roads" for the jeep. Have about 200 acres and about 12 miles of logging trails I think I am going to have opened up.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm sure I will have a lot more questions as the Summer goes on!

Last edited:
Nerf bars can get hung up easily if you decide to cross a log, consider a stirrup type setup that you pull up inside the Jeep once you're in.

Walked a lot of the trails today. Not too much that needs to be done but I understand what you are talking about things getting hung up. Any brand recommended over another?

Thanks :) Beginning to love this site and all the help and tips!

Better the log hitting the nerf bar then the quarter panel. Isn't that what nerf bars are for?
They're usually thin wall tubing and are easily pushed into the rocker themselves. They hurt ground clearance more than any benefit they offer. Better off with rocker skids or the stirrup setup.

Back