How to use OEM bottle jack???????

YellowJeepGuy

Ok so when I have a load on the OEM Jack I can't twist enough on the rod to make it go up anymore. I looked everywhere in the Internet and I can't find how to use it. Also I want to put the bottle jack on the frame. Where on the frame can I put the jack on. I want to service the rear differential.

You put the lug wrench on the 2pc rod to twist it up.
There is a square hole near the end of the lug wrench
photobucket272961357264805476-1.jpg

The jack points I use are the outside near the tires on the axle tube.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Jeepz

2x jack the vehicle by the axel tubes not the frame. The jack extends quite far. Most important is to solidly support the vehicle with jack stands when working on it. Especially if you are considering crawling under the vehicle. If you don't have stands borrow some.

If your jeep has larger tires then the bottle jack most likely will not be enough to give you the extra lift your looking for. The factory jack was only intended for changing out flat tires with factory size rims and tires. Your better off getting a good hydraulic bottle jack that has the height you need.

Here's a pic how well the stock jack works on 35" tires as shown below, and will even work for 37" tires in a pinch.

attachmentphpattachmentid33566d129391244-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree you could do a lot with the stock jack. Though I thought those were 35 in tires in Jerry's pic above.
My floor jack has an issue lifting the jeep by the axels as it barely reaches.

If yours does not extend that far be sure it's not damaged. Mine had a factory bend in the one tube not allowing it to extend.

They are 35's, and that is Jerry's pic :)

So either there is a problem with his jack or its not enough lift for his purpose. I personally don't think it's safe to use it extended all the way up like that as its more vulnerable to tilting over however, in a pinch , it would have to suffice.

So either there is a problem with his jack or its not enough lift for his purpose. I personally don't think it's safe to use it extended all the way up like that as its more vulnerable to tilting over however, in a pinch , it would have to suffice.

That's why you use jack stands as I posted above.

I thought they were used for tire stops while the Walmart 2 ton mini floor jack with a block of 4x6x12 did the lifting

Back