I cracked the oil sender housing ... what do I do now?

Sine Deviance

I have a '95 Wrangler with a 2.5L. Today I changed the oil and after doing so my oil pressure gauge bottomed out. I replaced the sensor since the oil pump seemed to be working. Somehow when I was screwing in the new oil sender I managed to crack the housing elbow. Now it spews out oil like a water hose on full blast whenever the engine is running.

Okay so what do I do now? New block? Or can I just replace the housing?

I think that part may be changeable, but it may be different in YJs.

I'm good. I talked to some peeps over at 4bangerjp last night and they say I can get the brass fitting from the stealership. I'm about to go find out how much it's gonna cost me right now. I'll let you guys know. Thanks!

Okay, I got it fixed. I went to the stealership and they had the fitting for $4.95. The only problem was that they had to have it shipped from Milwaukee and it was gonna take three days to get here (Friday.) So I went back to Auto Zone and pulled the fitting. It turns out they had one that matched the threads in the block and ALMOST matched the threads on the sensor (the sensor has a tapered screw and the elbow I used was straight-bore, but the actual threads were the same.) It was serviceable enough and only cost $1.99 so I just used that. I used teflon tape on both the fitting and the sensor so I don't think they'll be able to work their way out. The most expensive part of this was paying $19.99 for a five-quart jug of oil to refill it with.

After test driving for a while she seems to be running fine. The only problem I've noticed is that now when I floor it I can hear the valves rattling. When the fitting cracked I did drive the Jeep for a few hundred feet with 0 oil pressure and I could hear the engine knocking (had to do it to get it off the street) so this worries me a little.

BTW the fitting is 1/8" NPT.

Back