I swear I'll take a hammer to it...

GreenReaper93

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out with this...

I'll list what's the deal below:

1 - The gas gauge (wow, that's a first
image-missing.png
)

2 - I replaced the O2 sensor in the exaust, but I still smell a rich gassy smell.

3 - When I give it some gas (or even when just driving) it will spudder. I tried feul injection cleaner, but it still persists on spuddering.

I took a guess and assumed it was the cat, but before I go and tear my beast up I'd like to get your opinion. Thanks! GR93[addsig]

hollow it out anyway... thats what they're made for[addsig]

HAHAHAHAHAHA... I was actually thinking about that. The only question is what happens if my emissions are tested?[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> The only question is what happens if my emissions are tested?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You will probably fail...but if you dont have emissions testing in your state I wouldn't worry much about it. My cat's innards were reduced to a softball size chuck of stuff that was clogging it and robbing my jeep of power. I took it off and hollowed it...but I hated that "tinny" sound that I got. I took the cat off again and welded a piece of straight pipe inside of it...clamped it back on and works and sounds great. I couldnt believe the difference it made when i hollowed out the cat...it gave my jeep new life....not to mention more cohones hehe. The only badside is it does stink...but at least my gas mileage has improved. Here in NM they don't test emissions but if they ever decide to I'll just buy a cat...simple as that.[addsig]

Its extra work on your part but get a cat from the junk yard and on test day put it on after test day take it off and replace it with a piece of tube! The work would be off set by the incress in power and milage. just a thought
image-missing.png
Tug[addsig]

Is the timing in check?

I advocate taking out the cat. Here in Va. Emissions laws vary from county to county. I would check it out. In the counties that require them, they are only performed every two years.

To reduce the "tinny" sound you can try a glasspack.[addsig]

I was talkin to my buddy the other day and he was tellin me that theres an adapter that you can pick up at JCWhitney so that you can remove/replace your cat in no time. I guess it's two pieces that you weld on toyou pipes, then you can clamp either a straight pipe or a cat to it... depending on who's smellin' your exhaust that day
image-missing.png
. just something to check out.[addsig]

Cool... Ok. So what would I do about the spuddering nonsence? I'm starting to think that "Check Engine" light doesn't work except when I first start it up.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

What year Jeep? Check the fuel rail for any leaks, if it's fuel injection. Hs the mileage dropped since this problem?[addsig]

It's a '93 YJ 4.0. It gets about 16mpg. Sometimes, when I hit a rather large bump, it will do it too.... Fuel filter? Didn't rule it out (is pretty new), but could be defective.[addsig]

how long has it been since it's gotten some maintence work... spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter, etc...[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> Here in NM they don't test emissions </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> HUH?!?! Here in Albuquerque, they sure do! I just had to take my '02 1500 Dodge Ram in for emissions. So, without a cat you'll fail emissions?[addsig]

Back