I6 burning oil, no smoke.

Richieboy

I have 92 yj. I6 burning oil no smoke at all after a fresh oil change and 300 miles later to day I had to put 3 quarts!! I am new to jeeps this is my 1st so little confused. PVC is clean no leak that I can see

Re: Need Some HELP

It has to be going somewhere. Any signs of oil on the block or dripping on the ground? Check the skid plate for oil or back of the engine. Blue smoke?? Milkshake oil?

No blue smoke oil is fine! Pass side looks a little wet did check the skid plate yet thanks. I will check it out

Any strange readings on your oil pressure gauge?? Could be a going-bad sending unit - those things'll leak like a sieve!

mud4feet said:
Any strange readings on your oil pressure gauge?? Could be a going-bad sending unit - those things'll leak like a sieve!

That's very very true!!

3 quarts of oil in 300 miles and not burning it your drive way should look like an oil slick; it has to be going somewhere. If a stock set up, check the air filter for oil residue on the filter or if bad, the air box will have oil puddled in the bottom. Typically this is an indicator the rings are going and blow-by is pushing to oil out and into the air intake hose.

Saddle Tramp said:
3 quarts of oil in 300 miles and not burning it your drive way should look like an oil slick; it has to be going somewhere. If a stock set up, check the air filter for oil residue on the filter or if bad, the air box will have oil puddled in the bottom. Typically this is an indicator the rings are going and blow-by is pushing to oil out and into the air intake hose.

Or bad breathers

Richieboy said:
I have 92 yj. I6 burning oil no smoke at all after a fresh oil change and 300 miles later to day I had to put 3 quarts!! I am new to jeeps this is my 1st so little confused. PVC is clean no leak that I can see

Thanks I'll keep looking. Ps no oil in air filter can it still be bad rings ?

The first thing I would do is change the oil again then Keep an eye on it daily.You might even look into changing brands of oil.One of my trucks had Pennzoil in it when I got it and it used 4 qts. in 600 miles.Changed it to my oil Valvoline and it quit useing oil.How many miles are on your rig? what kind of oil?

I would look at the oil sending unit. mine went, didn't know it, would not leak a noticable amount at idle, but under throttle, it would spit the oil out at a pretty good clip, the leak is not noticable. the sending unit should be right above where your oil filter is on the pass side of the block, a new unit is only a couple bucks.

jps4jeep said:
I would look at the oil sending unit. mine went, didn't know it, would not leak a noticable amount at idle, but under throttle, it would spit the oil out at a pretty good clip, the leak is not noticable. the sending unit should be right above where your oil filter is on the pass side of the block, a new unit is only a couple bucks.

Ok thanks. Well do think I see oil at the top of pan rear gasket little drop there on the transmission wall. I hope that it. Thanks

Bridges said:
The first thing I would do is change the oil again then Keep an eye on it daily.You might even look into changing brands of oil.One of my trucks had Pennzoil in it when I got it and it used 4 qts. in 600 miles.Changed it to my oil Valvoline and it quit useing oil.How many miles are on your rig? what kind of oil?

145,000 castrol HM 10-30w thanks did find a leak at rear seal little drops hanging there on the wall from transmission?

Gonna throw this out there

Who changed the oil you or a shop
if it was a shop they most they likely pumped it in and didn't fill it all the way , thinking it was full ,

that's why I do it myself

54cj3b said:

if it was a shop they most they likely pumped it in and didn't fill it all the way , thinking it was full ,

Did it myself! Still confused. Little leak at rear of pan just little drop but it seems to be there after I wipe it thanks not pouring out or fast leak I had her running for a while but just a drop on the back wall of transmission

Did it myself! Still confused. Little leak at rear of pan just little drop but it seems to be there after I wipe it thanks not pouring out or fast leak I had her running for a while but just a drop on the back wall of transmission

Do a search on rear main seal. This sounds like it may be your issue. It is a common issue and some have done the seal swap with just dropping the pan and not pulling the engine.

You had the engine running at idle? Try running at a higher idle where teh oil pressure increases. You might notice more blow by the seal.

Just a thought based on what you have listed.

Remember, the I6 takes 6 quarts, not 5 that most cars do.

.......Pass side looks a little wet......

As I and others have suggested, I would check your oil pressure sending unit. It's the only thing, in my experience, that would cause the kind of consumtion you're talking about. If it was bad rings, you'd be sending out a blue cloud from hell and fouling plugs like crazy. I've never heard of a rear seal leaking THAT bad without some warning signs. I had a pressure sending unit go out on me and it took me 4 qts. just to get it home (10 miles), not to mention the sea of oil I left in the local Walmart parking lot.

It's a cheap and easy replacement. With the mileage you show, it sure wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway.

mud4feet said:
As I and others have suggested, I would check your oil pressure sending unit. It's the only thing, in my experience, that would cause the kind of consumtion you're talking about. If it was bad rings, you'd be sending out a blue cloud from hell and fouling plugs like crazy. I've never heard of a rear seal leaking THAT bad without some warning signs. I had a pressure sending unit go out on me and it took me 4 qts. just to get it home (10 miles), not to mention the sea of oil I left in the local Walmart parking lot.

It's a cheap and easy replacement. With the mileage you show, it sure wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway.

I checked the sending unit it's dry
Thanks still looking

Back