I6 to 360 V8

TJ_Jeep

Well i have a chance to grab a 360 v8 that is in a dodge E-Z Ride van its only got 79k on it and runs great, but the van is totaled from being hit in the back, so i can get the engine for practically nothing, but what are somethings that will need to be done for it to mount up to my transmission.

What year 360? It's not the same as an AMC 360 so it won't bolt to your trans and you'll have to wire in EFI. There is a motor mount adapter kit but you'll have to change your trans. If you have a 3 speed auto, then you can use a 727 or 999 (don't run a 904 with V8!) from a Dodge to make it work once you convert the trans to 4x4.
It's not impossible, but it's a LOT of work for someone who hasn't done a lot of swapping before.

I have absolutley no usefull input on this matter, but I do have a request. If you do the swap PLEASE make sure to take lots of pictures, or better yet video, of the steps it took. I'm sure there are plenty of us that would greatly apreciate it!

Its a 98' van same year as my jeep, and its and auto trans in the van and mine is 5 speed AX-15 which i wanna keep.

Last edited:
Well bad news the 360 has a cracked block =[ BUT! the good news, a guy wants to sell a f150 for $500 and its got the 4.2 v6 runs great, no crack, and with 90k, and i researched and its got a lot more torque and horse than my I6, What do y'all think about that?

I would say that the work and money in the swap would not be worth it. If you want more power, you could invest in a stroker kit. I've read you can make your own stoker kit with a 4.2 crank, pushrods, and connecting rods, I think.

I would just about promise that the 4.0 has its peak torque a lot lower than that v6, too. Just a thought.

Plus, I think I6s just sound cooler. ;)

Don't swap your torquey I-6 for a v6 of similar displacement, not worth the trouble and $$.

I would say that the work and money in the swap would not be worth it. If you want more power, you could invest in a stroker kit. I've read you can make your own stoker kit with a 4.2 crank, pushrods, and connecting rods, I think.

I would just about promise that the 4.0 has its peak torque a lot lower than that v6, too. Just a thought.

Plus, I think I6s just sound cooler. ;)
So you think that my I6 would be close to power as that 4.2 and yeah I6 just sounds cool

I don't know how much power it would have, but I do know it would probably be easier than a complete swap. 4.0s are good engines.

If you are looking for more power, you may want to consider regearing your axles for them 35's. 4.56's would probably be a nice boost for you.
Right now I'm regearing to 3.54's for 31's, and that's still pretty tall. I had 2.73's and hated them.

I don't know how much power it would have, but I do know it would probably be easier than a complete swap. 4.0s are good engines.

If you are looking for more power, you may want to consider regearing your axles for them 35's. 4.56's would probably be a nice boost for you.
Right now I'm regearing to 3.54's for 31's, and that's still pretty tall. I had 2.73's and hated them.
yeah i need to badly i have 3.07 and i HATE it 4.56 or 4.88 would be a big diff.

I'm pretty sure that the 4 cylinder TJ's had higher gears (maybe 4.10?) so maybe you could find a pair of axles and swap them in. You wouldn't have to mess with the gears, and if you wanted to go higher, your carriers will be the right carriers to carry higher gears.

Also, I think one of the newer 4 cylinder's t-case had a 4.1 low. Don't quote me on that, though. That would also help out your power issue.

I'm pretty sure that the 4 cylinder TJ's had higher gears (maybe 4.10?) so maybe you could find a pair of axles and swap them in. You wouldn't have to mess with the gears, and if you wanted to go higher, your carriers will be the right carriers to carry higher gears.

Also, I think one of the newer 4 cylinder's t-case had a 4.1 low. Don't quote me on that, though. That would also help out your power issue.
Yeah my grandad has a 4 cly and its got 4.10 and hes thinking about going to 4.56 because well its a 4 cly, and he said he would let me have his 4.10s but i wanted a little more uphmm, 4.88 is as high i can go without changing carriers

You need two new carriers to go from 3.07 to 4.10. I'd jump all the way to 4.56 or 4.88 if you're running 35" tires. But having access to a pair of 4.10 axles from a 2.5L 5spd Wrangler is a pretty easy install.

No 4banger jeep came with a 4:1 transfer case, that's available only in the Rubicon.

I am in the process of putting a 2001 Dodge 360 (5.9) in my CJ7 as part of a frame up rebuild. The neat thing about a Dodge motor is that everything bolts up with no adaptors. I bought the engine, bellhousing, and NV4500 transmission off of e-bay. The input shaft from your AX15 should be the same as the NV4500, although I haven't researched it. (The Nv4500 was the same as my old T5)

You will have to fabricate some motor mounts. I am using Bombproof mounts from M.O.R.E. but fabricating the mounting plates.

Two things to remember: You would think that the V8 would be shorter than the 6, but it is almost exactly the same length, and barely fits between the frame rails when you consider the exhaust manifolds. Also, that 360 runs HOT, so a radiator upgrade is essential. I am going to an aluminum crossflow radiator, and I am louvering my hood to allow the heat to escape and adding engine oil coolers too. You will need a new ECM (engine control module) programed for a manual transmission. The auto ECM may work, but the check engine light will stay on because of lack of input from the transmission sensors.

A company that specializes in Dodge Magnum conversions is Backwoodsoffroad.com. Try them for more info.

I hope this helps. I am a long way from being operational, but I have done many hours of research.

Sorry, I missed the post about the cracked block, but maybe someone else can use the info about the 360 swap.

Back