Increase MPG?

owachi13

I know this might be opposite of what most of us jeep people do, but I am on my 3rd Jeep at this point. I have had all wranglers, a 95, then a 97, and now a 2002. My first two, I went bigger and bigger with every modification imaginable until I either ran out of money or couldn't afford to drive it anymore or both. With my 02, I have resisted the urge thus far to go bigger than stock, and have been running 31X10.50 BFG AT for a while now. I average around 18 MPG. Is there any way to increase this? With where gas is heading, I would like to do everything possible to better my position. My jeep is a daily driver, and I commute about 30 miles one way. I know 18 mpg isn't that bad, but every bit helps. If I were to go down a size in tire to a 30X9.50 would that help some? Where I go off road it is mostly for hunting and camping, so ground clearance isn't that important...Any other suggestions, even aftermarket stuff that might help in the MPG department. By the way, my TJ has the 4 banger. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Let it breath better. Intake and exhaust modifications will help somewhat. An electric fan I've heard works well also.
Mike

If your getting 18 with a 4.0L BE HAPPY. I only get 14/15 but that's with 35's and a heavy right foot........MY BAD didn't see the 4 banger part. I would think you should get more then 18. get a intake tube and filter and look into bigger T/B

Last edited:
Well, if you're runnin' 31's and haven't changed your speedo gear (like me), then you're actually getting close to 20 mpg. One of the best things you can do is drive the speed limit (or under) and stay out of the pedal as much as possible. I know, I know, I know........that really sucks- but it does help greatly with the gas mileage.

I have 32x12.5 on my 93 yj. How off is the speedo. It has a 20 gal tank and i might get 300 miles on that. I know the speedo is off but how off will that make the mileage.

Back