INSANE Front end wobble on HWY ?

hoobness

Hey, I keep forgeting to ask about this, until today it happend again. I drive on the HWY alot, Id say 80% of on road travel. When I hit a larger size bump going 60+ my front end will shake till it falls off. No kidding. The first (and worst) time was about a month ago. Cruisin along I hit a bump that I usually wouldnt worry about and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE! I thought I lost a wheel, or a tie rod, or blew a tire - I dont know what the hell it was. Scarred the crap out of me, instantly hit the brakes and it went away.
It still happens, Im just more weary of bumps in the road at high speeds.
It stinks, itll vibrate for an easy 40 yards after it starts.

Whats going on?

BTW : The steering stablzr, and front hubs are 5 mos old. In two weeks my unlifted 87 YJ 4.2 will be riding on 33x12.5s BFG AT/KOs, and a RE 4" lift. Will that and the post-install alignment fix it?

Cant wait till my jeep is "trail worthy" Guys around here (NH) wont let me come because I got no lift...

Thanks again!

Attachments

• ryan_in_jeep.jpg
    ryan_in_jeep.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 382

Well, all I can say is piss on the guys that won't let you come because you have not lift!!! the thing is "trailworthy" off the showroom floor!!! It's a Jeep thing they obviously don't understand. I'm guessin' none of 'em have wiches????

RE: Re: RE: New Member At Jeepz :)

i'll second that.... the only jeeps that cannot make it on the trails are jeeps that won't start

hoobness said:
Hey, I keep forgeting to ask about this, until today it happend again. I drive on the HWY alot, Id say 80% of on road travel. When I hit a larger size bump going 60+ my front end will shake till it falls off. No kidding. The first (and worst) time was about a month ago. Cruisin along I hit a bump that I usually wouldnt worry about and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE! I thought I lost a wheel, or a tie rod, or blew a tire - I dont know what the hell it was. Scarred the crap out of me, instantly hit the brakes and it went away.
It still happens, Im just more weary of bumps in the road at high speeds.
It stinks, itll vibrate for an easy 40 yards after it starts.

Whats going on?

Sounds like your front track bar is worn.

Parting out Jeep

It could be a bunch of things.. ball joint, tie rod end, shocks, wheel bearing, track bar, tire, steering arm, etc... jack the front end up and put it on stands.. get under there and shake the heck out of the front end and see what is sloppy...

RE: sign the petition...

Putting the lift on will help, as it'll replace the leaf spring bushings and give you a chance to inspect everything more closely. With a YJ it's most likely a bad steering component or bad steering stabilizer. Have somebody crank the steering back and forth while you inspect every component.

The Death Wobble (DW) you describe is rare on YJ's, more common on coil sprung vehicles.

Re: RE: sorry guys (ellipses)

I could just be seriously out of alignment, but I would suspect worn bushings/joints like Graewulf mentioned. Bounty's suggestion for looking over the front end while someone turns the wheel back/forth is probably the best way to spy bad bushings/joints. If they all look good I would then have the alignment checked. If that's good then the stabilizer - which you'll need for 33's anyhow.

by the way that pic is funny

...that was the easiest way to work-on/clean the engine area while I was having it re-built (may03).

Ill check the sterring linkages, and Iguess I might as well replace the stabilizer while I have eveerything off uner there...

DO I need to get a "double" steering stabilizer?

Thanks again.

hoobs

No on the double. A good gas charged single stock replacement should do. I have the Old Man Emu one on my XJ. I probably paid for the name but it made a big difference.

Hi,

LOL. I've worked on my Cherokee while standing IN the engine compartment quite a few times now, just like you are in your photo! It's very do-able when I have the batteries removed from the engine compartment, as there are very few components in there.

It does allow you to see things from a better perspective :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

RE: Re: RE: sign the petition...

I can stand in my engine bay WITH the engine installed ;) Having an electric fan on the 4banger is nice, I can stand on the front axle between the engine and radiator (18"+) and make working under there a whole lot easier. The old YJ was the same way with the 350.

RE: never again!!!maybe?

Bounty__Hunter said:
I can stand in my engine bay WITH the engine installed ;) Having an electric fan on the 4banger is nice, I can stand on the front axle between the engine and radiator (18"+) and make working under there a whole lot easier. The old YJ was the same way with the 350.

Again, I'll add a note of caution: DO NOT ATTEMPT WHILE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION!!!!

:lol:

Re: RE: THrottle body spacers?

Hate to say this but I went through the same thing 8 months ago. I replaced the tie rods and stabilizer ( it helped very little) so I bit the bullet and went to the jeep dealer to get raped. I only asked for a quote and a diagnosis. After 60 bucks they told me I needed a steering box and new universals on the axle where the wheels atach to. I had a buddy press out the u joints and install new ones( he told me they were rusted pretty bad) this helped some what but still had the death wobel. I bought a new steering box, instaled it, never had a problem again. As a matter of fact my steering couldn't be better

Back