interior door handle assembly...please help

tjric

I recently went through the painful task of replacing my passenger side exterior door handle but after everything was back together my interior door handle would not open the door anymore! it looks like the rod that connects to the latch disconnected....does anyone have a picture of what the assembly should look like or know where a diagram can be found? I cannot see how they connect together and I either fubar'd it or I am missing a piece.

If you just did it to your passenger door, than take the panel off your driver side door to get a look at what right looks like.

It is a 2002 TJ X...I would take apart the drivers side door to see how it looks but I am trying to avoid it if possible because once you take off a door panel it never goes back the same ( something is always cracked or rattles after putting it back).

Thanks for your help everyone and I hope to hear from you soon

There are 2 places where the interior door handle would disconnect. Latch side or behind the handle. the best thing to do is to remove the door panel and see which one came off. it probbably came off the latch side, my guess, since you worked on your exterior handle. There are 2 types of retainers used on the latches. one is a plastic clip and the other type is a push in style metal retainer.

I pulled the passenger side door apart and the linkage disconnected @ the latch, I dodn't see a plastic clip....it looks like there is a metal clip but it is kind of mangled and seems to be riveted to the latch. Do I have to replace the entire latch or is there a plastic piece missing ( id didnt see it lying in the bottom of the door)

Thank you for your help by the way

On my 97 TJ it had plastic clips.Which one of them broke.All I did was take the clip off of the lock linkage.No sense in locking the doors when people can unzip the back window or cut the top.

I pulled the passenger side door apart and the linkage disconnected @ the latch, I dodn't see a plastic clip....it looks like there is a metal clip but it is kind of mangled and seems to be riveted to the latch. Do I have to replace the entire latch or is there a plastic piece missing ( id didnt see it lying in the bottom of the door)

Thank you for your help by the way

If the end of the Rod/Linkage looks like a threaded end, That's the type that you push in that Metal clip that you saw. Keep the rod at it's Relaxed position when you snap it in place on the metal clip. If the clip is somewhat Mangled, as long as nothing broke on it, it could be re-shaped with a small needle nose pliers.. If the end of the rod is just a short bent tip, then that's the plastic retainer type. it should be in the door somewhere on the bottom. If i remember correctly, it should be Green in color. The color of the clips varries with the different size linkage.

Back