Is a 4 banger enough ?

Your the one that will ultamatly decide if your 4cyl is enough or not! We can spill the all kinds of words to the contrary to you. A question I always pose to someone asking questions like this is," what do you wan't to do with it?" The 4 bangers came with 4:10 gears, which is good so they seem to have plenty of poop. I've wheeled with a guy that has a green 90's something fuel injected 4 banger, he installed ARB air lockers front & rear, and he's damn near unstoppable off road! Empty!

What I've experienced from everyone I know that has the 4 banger, is the lack of hwy power. And, when camping, with the jeep loaded for a week long trip, it lacks power in those situtations. Will it make it to where ever your gonna camp? Depends on how well you set up, how rough the terrain is the, your level of experience.

Generally, the 4 bangers can go everywhere the 6's go, they just don't have the same HP/torque.[addsig]

I have a 97 2.5 and I am very pleased, If I ever get rid of this I will look for another 4 banger. My buddy had a 97 sport and always complained about the visits to the gas station, I drive on the beach almost every weekend and have pulled many a chevy and fords out with there 6's and 8's ( I let the imports get themselves out) Its more the driver than the engine you must know what you can get the truck through not what the truck will get you through, I have seen beatles so far in the mud I thought they would never get out. And the only way to learn is to push the truck till you feel it getting stuck and the its up to you to get it back out!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back