Is a Dana 35 axle worth getting a locker?

OhioJP

I have a 94 YJ witha stock dana 35 rear axle witha 4.10 gear. I don't do really heavy off roading as of now. I would like to put in some kind of locker for added traction in mud, snow, and dirt. I'll be running 31 inch tires. Is it worth my time to install a locker in the dana 35 or should I upgrade the axle first, then instal a locker? Thanks

Look into a Ford 8.8 from a Ford Exploder, can't remember years. I believe they are a near drop in, stronger than the d35, they come stock with disc brakes. And I think 4.10 or 4.11 ratio.

On the flip side if several people have kept the d35 and have been lucky with them by being SMRT (yey Homerism) with their stupid skinny peddle foot.

Bacon

If you plan on staying with 31" tires keep the 35 and throw in a cheap lunch box locker. Wouldn't put much money into a Dana 35. I have a Buddy that put a super 35 kit in his and he runs 35" tires so far no issues. If you have any thought of one day going with bigger tires I would invest In 95~01 Ford explorer 8.8 This is what I did . For two hundred buck and some small fab,work you have a strong axle , disc brakes , matching gears and a LSD witch you can repack. A repacked LSD perform almost like a full locker. I actually prefer my LSD over a locker.

Hey thanks Bacon YJ and Insufficient Funds for great info!! I think I'll go the 8.8 Explorer route for my YJ!!

I've got an Exlporer 8.8 and love it. I will say that it cost more than I expected (I've got a TJ, so I had to get more brackets than you will). I don't want to steer you away from the 8.8, but it'll probably end up costing you $500 (assuming you put new brakes on your junk yard axle).

Here's my 8.8 build - http://www.jeepz.com/forum/jeep-builds/41363-terrymasons-2005-jeep-tj-build.html#post305748

Here's a quick parts list:

Ford 8.8 Axle
limited slip and 3.73 gears = $175

Diff Cover
Solid differential cover = $65
Solid Axle Heavy Duty Ford 8.8 Differential Cover

Gear Oil
Mobil 1 75-140 Synthetic = $19.99 x 3

Friction Modifier (for the LSD)
Summit Racing $5.95
Ford Racing Friction Modifier M-19546-A1 - SummitRacing.com

Bracket kit from Mad4wd.com
YJ Wrangler Rear Axle Bracket Kit [Axle Kit-YJ] - $120.00 : Mad 4 Wheel Drive
$120 + shipping

Yoke adapter
Dana Spicer Ford 8.8 Flange Yoke Adapter 1310 U-Joint = $25.99 + shipping
Total $31.64

Yoke bolts - 12mm x 1.75 thread 12 point. Ford PN: N800594-S100.

Brakes
Advance Auto Parts
Wearever Silver Brake Pads MKD667 - 35.33
Wearever Silber Brake Shoes NB701 - 23.99
Wearever Brake Rotors YH145052 78.73
(i paid 126.27 for all brake parts)

Currie Disc Brake Hose Kit - $36.95 + shipping
Currie Enterprises Racing Rear End Categories
Total - $46.36

I have a 95 yj that had stock 410s with some searching you can find a 8.8 with 410s just look at the axle tag or the door tag. It's pretty simple to swap with leafs there is alot of ways to save money depending on how fab savy you are. lots of good build threads out there. If you run into any questions feel free to message me since are Jeeps are almost the same year the install would be no different than in my 95. you won't regret going to the 8.8 good luck keep us posted on the progress!!!

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!! I have a buddy who is a welder at work, so this axle swap shouldn't be too bad..

$200 for a Ford 8.8, $20 for spring perches, few bucks for shock brackets, and you're just about there. Don't forget ebrakes and brake lines but that's the easy stuff. May also want to run 1.25" wheel spacers to bring the track width back to stock. Spacers are fine if you loctite the inside lug nuts.

The '95+ Explorer 8.8 can be found in many of the common Jeep gear ratios. You'll see 4 10 on the diff tag for 4.10 gears, and 4L10 for 4.10 gears with a limited slip differential.

Back