Is my hub binding up?

Ragtopman

Ok here it is 91 YJ 4.0l 5spd when I'm coasting at slow speeds such as into a light or down a small hill like my driveway I here a klunking noise sounds like it's comming from the wheel could this be the hub engaging or something. How can I test if the hub is bad

~Thanks

you shouldn't have a mechanical hub on a 91... it could be anything in the hub bearing, suspension, or braking system

I am with Snitty! Unless you have a warn hub conversion. and even if the hub was converted and binding, it would bae a slight clicking sound

Does a 91 YJ have silencer pads on the brake pads??, we had a ford E350 that had them, and the clips broke off, and they were as loud as all hell!

No hub conversion, It only happenes at slow speed when I coast even noticed it in reverse. Sometimes when the jeep sits for a while it feels like something locks up in the front drive line. pops when you go to move it. how do I test if the front u-joints are worn. they look original 140k on it

Could be those, but it would be continuous at any speed. Fack up the front of you jeep with a hi lift and put that sucker on jackstands, then spin the wheels with your hands and see if it is still there, might not be cause there is not weight on the axle but a good starting point!

ok heres what I found. Left brake caliper is loose slides up as rotor rotates till it hits then drops back down and "klunk" pulled it off and found that the bushings are a bit sloopy. Tried to pull one out and ripped the little rubber boot. now what? Are these replaceable or am I buyin calipers? Parts stores are all closed around here so I'm eagerly waitin for a reponse

RTM

you can buy hardware to replace the stock crap... but since you are... buy a pair of lifetime loaded calipers from autozone... the pads and rotors are lifetime warranty... instead of replacing pads... you just bring both calipers back and put new ones on... that way, everything is always in new-working condition

Back