Is the Weber 32/36 DGEV the best.

Kletus,

I would look into some of the write ups on the 4.0 head swap. If people can use the 4.2 intake when doing that swap, I don't see why you couldn't for your application. I think I have seen when reading some of those write ups that you have to have the matching intake though.

Good luck

I don't remember where I found them, but I either saw the links on Jeepz or did a browser search. Here is a link that I just found with a search. I think its the one I have seen before. You could start here or look for similar articles. It looks like you need the 4.0 exhaust, but the 4.2 intake should work.

http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

17. Can I use my old (4.2L) Intake Manifold?

Yes.

Let us know how it goes.

Jay79cj7 all i have seen online is taking a 258 (4.2) and putting a 242 (4.0) head on it. What I have is a 2002 4.0L. I am not for sure but I don't think I would want to change my head.

As for the million dollars....the question still remains what intake manifold I need for my 4.0?

After that question is answered I will check with my bank for the million dollars but dont get your hopes up... :D

KletUs

Jay79cj7 .... hold the phones...I think you did answer the question! I think from what I am reading that if I get a 258 intake manifold I should be just fine and it should all bolt up like it was built to be like that....I have to go read it again but I think if I am reading things correctly that because I have a 4.0 that I could use the older intake.

Everybody let me know if your reading the same thing or if I am retarded and not thinking straight...

OOOO by the way jay ... I talked with the bank and as soon as I said my name and "Borrow" in the same sentence they gave me a dial tone???? Maybe the phones over there are down... I'll try again later. :D

let me know,

KLETUS

I remember reading that the Webers need pretty low fuel pressure so you may need a regulator if you are running an electric pump. Just a thought.

Kletus,

You want to hook a 258 intake to a 242. The article talks about hooking a 258 intake to a 242 head during the head swap upgrade. I don't think the block matters in this situation since the intake bolts only to the head, but I could be wrong. This should answer your questions, I think. Don't sue me if you get in the middle and it doesn't fit!

I will PM you my address so you can mail the check. :D

Jay I will have to agree with you....I think that is the way to go.

Jay I'll make a deal with you.. I wont sue you if it doesn't work IF you don't require the million dollar payment (or any other payment) if it does work. :lol:

Thanks for your help

CJ race bumper / fr. shackles

avyoung is correct by saying that you will need a fuel pressure regulator. but in my opinion it would be a better bet just to get the fuel pump designed for a carbeurated engine. logically it would made sense that a fuel pump pushing 30+ psi being regulated down to 3psi would cause alot of pressure on your fuel lines, and probably would end up killing your fuel pump.

just a thought

I just installed a weber 32/36 on a recently rebuilt 89 -4.2-258, and yes I did have to play with it a bit to get the vacuum lines I needed to work, and also had to modify the stock breather for it to fit with the adaptor. Question, did you install hotter plugs and what did you go with. And do you (or anyone) have pics. of your (thier) conversion ?

Last edited:
i have the motorcraft and i only remember it costing around $150 total for everything. i bought a remanufactured, not rebuilt, one from advanced auto. had a diesling problem but that was with a timeing issue, other than that it runs at all kids of great angles and does ok on mileage.

Southbay can you take a picture of your vacuum lines. I have a weber on my 89 and wan't to make sure the previous owner did it right. I get terrible gas milage, also where did you get an adapter to use the stock breather?

Jay79cj7 all i have seen online is taking a 258 (4.2) and putting a 242 (4.0) head on it. What I have is a 2002 4.0L. I am not for sure but I don't think I would want to change my head.

As for the million dollars....the question still remains what intake manifold I need for my 4.0?

After that question is answered I will check with my bank for the million dollars but dont get your hopes up... :D

KletUs

If I remember right, early model 4.0s were carbed. You might have to check with a boneyard for an early XJ with one in it to get the intake off of if the 4.2 doesn't fit.

I recently installed the weber 32/36 on my 89 wrangler, 258, 4.2L.. No problems with installation, tried to follow the instructions that came with it, but they are a little vague when it comes to the connection of the vacuum lines, I am still having a little bit of a stumble at idle.. The carb I replaced was the Carter 1BBL, I connected the advance vac., egr, bowl vent, and to brake booster. Has anyone done the same conversion and do you have pictures of your vacuum connections so I can compare with mine??

Southbay can you take a picture of your vacuum lines. I have a weber on my 89 and wan't to make sure the previous owner did it right. I get terrible gas milage, also where did you get an adapter to use the stock breather?

The adaptor came with the conversion kit I bought, you can also buy the adaptor by itself. I will take some pics. of my vacuum connections and post them. I would also like to see if anyone esle has done the same conversion so we can compare pics, I am still getting a little stumble at idle:confused:

If I remember right, early model 4.0s were carbed. You might have to check with a boneyard for an early XJ with one in it to get the intake off of if the 4.2 doesn't fit.

He removed the EFI off a TJ 4.0L and put a carb on it. It was for a Yj that originally had a 2.5L. He had a zillion problems doing the swap and he ended up selling the Jeep and getting a TJ.

Long story short, this is an oooooold thread.

My bad...I didn't even look at the dates. Must be too tired to think. Think I'll have the wife punish me.

Edit. You're right. This is OLD. I looked at the month and day and totally ignored the year.

Back