Is this a good deal? Trading me Jeep wrangler Tj for a CJ scrambler.

YellowJeepGuy

So I found this guy on craiglist and he is selling his scrambler and is willing to trade for my 2004 Jeep wrangler Tj. Is this a fair trade? I always wanted a scrambler and am willing to give up the creature Comforts of my Jeep for a classic. I'm planning to test drive it this weekend.

Here are some pics of mine

Attachments

• image-2699586048.jpg
    image-2699586048.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 461
  • image-3410106111.jpg
    image-3410106111.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 290
  • image-3688998439.jpg
    image-3688998439.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 337
  • image-1180124582.jpg
    image-1180124582.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 282
  • image-1073505766.jpg
    image-1073505766.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 308
Here are some pics of his. Do you think this is a good trade. Or is this a rip off for me? The only concern I have is there is some rust on some of the engine components. Is that a big deal? He said the Motor was completely re-did 3,000 miles ago. What are your guys opinions?

Attachments

• image-3932453895.jpg
    image-3932453895.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 608
  • image-832425163.jpg
    image-832425163.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 261
  • image-1258727117.jpg
    image-1258727117.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 244
  • image-594899557.jpg
    image-594899557.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 239
Scramblers are expensive. The ones that bring the big money are the ones closest to original ( Yes with some exceptions). In my opin probably the worst thing about this one is that they bed lined the exterior. It'd make it hard to return it to original. This may be ok for you but you have to think about if you decide to sell it. 6cyl with the 4 speed is a plus, the 4cly models don't bring as much. Just make sure it is the T176 4speed and not t-4 or sr4 whatever they call it. Make sure the frame is good and the bulkhead behind the seats isn't rusted out. They make a fiberglass repro bulkhead but not a steel one. I don't know what yours is worth but I really don't think that ones worth 12,000. There's one where I live for 10,500 that's pretty nice, not totally original though. He may be interested in trading. PM me if your want the number. That's my opin.

Scramblers are expensive. The ones that bring the big money are the ones closest to original ( Yes with some exceptions). In my opin probably the worst thing about this one is that they bed lined the exterior. It'd make it hard to return it to original. This may be ok for you but you have to think about if you decide to sell it. 6cyl with the 4 speed is a plus, the 4cly models don't bring as much. Just make sure it is the T176 4speed and not t-4 or sr4 whatever they call it. Make sure the frame is good and the bulkhead behind the seats isn't rusted out. They make a fiberglass repro bulkhead but not a steel one. I don't know what yours is worth but I really don't think that ones worth 12,000. There's one where I live for 10,500 that's pretty nice, not totally original though. He may be interested in trading. PM me if your want the number. That's my opin.

Is he in Texas?

Oh by the way the blue book value of mine is 13k

Another thing to consider, what's he hiding under the bedliner? Could've been rusted badly, bondod over and bedlined...

Nope Tenn, prob too far for ya to go. When I got my Scrambler I wondered what the value was so I started watching Ebay. I would click on the watch this item icon so I could see if it really sold an what for. I think they bring more on Ebay than Craigslist. The big factor on your side you have if you trade is that your Jeep has an actual loan value. Scramblers being older vehicles don't, your Jeep would be easier to sell. Where is the guy with the nice Scrambler is waiting for someone who has 9 to 13 grand in his pocket and wants to spend it on an old Jeep. I'm sure you could find a good trade somewhere. One thing though, the Scrambler is a collector's item and always will be. Your Jeep will drop in value over the years. I'm not trying to sway you just telling you what I think. Your Jeep will make a much better DD. If your like me though, the way I look at it you only live once. When I'm in my 50's and 60's I prob wont want to bounce around in an old Jeep. That's why I'm making those memories now.

Nope Tenn, prob too far for ya to go. When I got my Scrambler I wondered what the value was so I started watching Ebay. I would click on the watch this item icon so I could see if it really sold an what for. I think they bring more on Ebay than Craigslist. The big factor on your side you have if you trade is that your Jeep has an actual loan value. Scramblers being older vehicles don't, your Jeep would be easier to sell. Where is the guy with the nice Scrambler is waiting for someone who has 9 to 13 grand in his pocket and wants to spend it on an old Jeep. I'm sure you could find a good trade somewhere. One thing though, the Scrambler is a collector's item and always will be. Your Jeep will drop in value over the years. I'm not trying to sway you just telling you what I think. Your Jeep will make a much better DD. If your like me though, the way I look at it you only live once. When I'm in my 50's and 60's I prob wont want to bounce around in an old Jeep. That's why I'm making those memories now.

You bring up a very good point. Thanks :)

Back